• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Libel on the Net

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

auto190056

This is interstate.....the states involved are: Colorado, South Carolina, Georgia, Montana, Idaho, and Florida.

I wonder how one might deal with slander/libel on the Net? We have tried the upstream providers, etc....and no one will help us. My friend (among others) is being accused of felonies, etc., on a website. Nothing posted about my friend is true, but we have all been having serious trouble dealing with the upstream providers re removing the defamatory content.

I will be happy to post the URL to the defamatory site if seeing it could be helpful to those who might want to give us some advice. Please let me know.

Thank you very much.

RLB

BelizeBreeze

If I told this forum that I think you're a drug-infested skank who would think nothing of raping a 6 year-old in front of her family would you consider that libel?

The U.S. Supreme Court didn't. And THAT's why the provider won't do anything. Because they can't. either ignore it or change providers. It's called freedom of speech.

M

meganproser

>>If I told this forum that I think you're a drug-infested skank who would think nothing of raping a 6 year-old in front of her family would you consider that libel?

No, that is not libel, no matter who you tell it to.

If however you told this forum, or any other INDIVIDUAL, that someone IS on drugs and has raped a 6 year old, and those allegations are false, that IS libel.

BB did you see what was written about this guy? Or are you assuming that since the providers won't remove the allegations, they do not qualify as libel?

auto190056: Unless you privately sent the url to BB and she already looked at the site, I would like to have the url so I can see what is there.

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
>>If I told this forum that I think you're a drug-infested skank who would think nothing of raping a 6 year-old in front of her family would you consider that libel?

No, that is not libel, no matter who you tell it to.

If however you told this forum, or any other INDIVIDUAL, that someone IS on drugs and has raped a 6 year old, and those allegations are false, that IS libel.

BB did you see what was written about this guy? Or are you assuming that since the providers won't remove the allegations, they do not qualify as libel?

auto190056: Unless you privately sent the url to BB and she already looked at the site, I would like to have the url so I can see what is there.
Megan, You are on drugs and you raped a 6 yr. old.

Now tell us what you are going to do.
Inquisitive minds want to know.

Please post accurate legal advice.

I wonder how BB is fealing wearing all that pink fluff this evening. :rolleyes:

M

meganproser

I'm not going to do anything, because a reasonable reader would not consider your statement in THIS context, to be a factual allegation.

The context in which the statement was made has an affect on whether or not the reader views the statement as "fact" or opinion.

Or are you asking me to correct this statement: "If however you told this forum, or any other INDIVIDUAL..."

I should have put the qualifier that the false allegation has to be made to one person OTHER THAN the plaintiff...my bad.

I don't like to see people qualify something as "free speech" when they don't even know what the speech was!

Ooooh, I forgot, BB is a guy! Well pink is very in for guys this year you know! Anyway, can I help it if something about the name just sounds girlish to me?

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
I'm not going to do anything, because a reasonable reader would not consider your statement in THIS context, to be a factual allegation. A reasonable person would not give lame advice.

The context in which the statement was made has an affect on whether or not the reader views the statement as "fact" or opinion.HUH? Did you forget your prior post?

Or are you asking me to correct this statement: "If however you told this forum, or any other INDIVIDUAL..." Correcting you is worthless. You are just a troll who has no other forums to visit.

I should have put the qualifier that the false allegation has to be made to one person OTHER THAN the plaintiff...my bad. What other person?

I don't like to see people qualify something as "free speech" when they don't even know what the speech was!Well, I'm sorry you don't like to see that. Care to explain that comment? :rolleyes:

Ooooh, I forgot, BB is a guy! Well pink is very in for guys this year you know! Anyway, can I help it if something about the name just sounds girlish to me?
You do realize you have a problem, right?

M

meganproser

Megan wrote: "I don't like to see people qualify something as "free speech" when they don't even know what the speech was!"

Paridise wrote: "Well, I'm sorry you don't like to see that. Care to explain that comment?"

Yes. The poster said someone was writing things that may constitute libel and he wanted some advice on what to do.

BB, who as far as I know did not know the specifics of the situation, dismissed the poster by saying, "It's called freedom of speech."

How does BB know that what happened to the poster's friend, is called "free speech" and NOT lible? Why ASSUME the speech is protected?

Why do you say I have a problem? :)

Shay-Pari'e

meganproser said:
Megan wrote: "I don't like to see people qualify something as "free speech" when they don't even know what the speech was!"

Paridise wrote: "Well, I'm sorry you don't like to see that. Care to explain that comment?"

Yes. The poster said someone was writing things that may constitute libel and he wanted some advice on what to do. And you gave him the wrong advice.

BB, who as far as I know did not know the specifics of the situation, dismissed the poster by saying, "It's called freedom of speech." Neither do you, and BB is sharp on the law, and you are simply not worth the time and effort anymore.

How does BB know that what happened to the poster's friend, is called "free speech" and NOT lible? Why ASSUME the speech is protected? Because it is. Period! I don't think I have ever encountered someone so persistently stupid.

Why do you say I have a problem? :)
That speakes for it's self. Megan, I am done with you. You are as dumb as a bucket of rocks.

M

meganproser

Now you're getting all in a tizzy again instead of calmly listening to me.

M wrote: BB, who as far as I know did not know the specifics of the situation, dismissed the poster by saying, "It's called freedom of speech."

P wrote: Neither do you, and BB is sharp on the law, and you are simply not worth the time and effort anymore.

M writes: I didn't say I DID know the specifics and I asked to SEE the specifics. BB simply ASSUMED.

M wrote: How does BB know that what happened to the poster's friend, is called "free speech" and NOT lible? Why ASSUME the speech is protected?

P wrote: Because it is. Period! I don't think I have ever encountered someone so persistently stupid.

M writes: BECAUSE IT IS???? Have you ever heard of Libel or Invasion of Privacy? Do you think it's impossible to commit one of those torts on the Internet? ALL SPEECH IS NOT PROTECTED and too may idiots on the Net think it is. You are reinforcing that ridiculous notion.

P wrote: Megan, I am done with you. You are as dumb as a bucket of rocks.

M writes: Fine then! Be that way!!! Go ahead and dismiss me! Excuuuuuse me!!! No need to get all huffy. Sheesh. Goodnight Paridise!

auto190056

BelizeBreeze said:
The link you provided is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and protected free speech.

NEXT?
Personally, I don't find it hilarious.......but how can this be protected free speech when nothing written on this website is true? (And yes, there is evidence to prove Cygan's innocense.)

M

meganproser

The individual who wrote these publications has carefully alerted the readers to the fact that she has no first hand knowledge as to the truth of the allegations. She lets the readers know that all of the information presented is hearsay. Presumably, a reasonable person would not take any of these allegations as FACT. The writer undoubtedly feels she can claim her writings were merely “opinion”, which is USUALLY protected speech.

There are however, times when “opinion” may still be considered defamatory. Whether a particular statement or writing constitutes fact or opinion, for libel or slander purpose, is a question of law for court to determine.

This writer is really pushing the limit. Some of the facts for **** to consider include:
How many of these allegations are false and can be proven false?
Are these allegations basically true, with only a few technically incorrect statements? Or are most of these allegations pure fiction?

Some of what has been written may be a violation of ***** right to privacy.

Colorado still has a criminal libel law. Has ***** gone to the police?

I am not surprised that the server has refused to censor this site. I think anyone who takes this site owner on, is in for a HUGE legal battle.
I am NOT a lawyer.

auto190056

meganproser said:
This writer is really pushing the limit. Some of the facts for **** to consider include:
How many of these allegations are false and can be proven false?
All of them.

meganproser said:
Are these allegations basically true, with only a few technically incorrect statements? Or are most of these allegations pure fiction?
Pure fiction. :mad: While Renee does have a CPS history, she has appealed these "indications" and they have been expunged from the system. (Some of these "indications" were not even investigated when the complaint came in, she was just "indicated." She is/was innocent, that was recognized.)

Renee is involved in ongoing litigation regarding her children, due to the length of time they were detained.

meganproser said:
Some of what has been written may be a violation of ***** right to privacy.
I hadn't thought of that, since Renee has been very public with her advocacy efforts.....She has given so generously of her time and resources, has spent money out of her own pocket to provide assistance to families in need or crisis. This is all so frustrating.....to see a friend defamed and to feel helpless to stop it.

meganproser said:
Colorado still has a criminal libel law. Has ***** gone to the police?
No, we had no idea that libel was a criminal matter....thought it was civil only....That will definitely be considered as an option.

Thank you so much for your reply, and your suggestions. It is really appreciated. :)

M

meganproser

Just to clarify the criminal libel thing for other readers: There are only a handful of states left that have criminal libel laws on their books. Those States RARELY prosecute for criminal libel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">