• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evicted on a Lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bthesaint45

What is the name of your state? Florida
MY landlord just gave me 2 weeks notice on a year lease that ends in may of 2005. Is this legal? What are my options? He says the house was sold...." not my problem, we have a lease!" Please help!!!

rmet4nzkx

bthesaint45 said:
MY landlord just gave me 2 weeks notice on a year lease that ends in may of 2005. Is this legal? What are my options? He says the house was sold...." not my problem, we have a lease!" Please help!!!
YOu will have to check the landlord tennant laws for FL, in most cases, if you have no violation the lease stands and the new landlord has to honor it until it's expiration, also usually requires more notice. Look at your lease very carefully to see it's terms in conjunction to the LL/T laws.

You have not responded to your other thread, https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=205482
Please do this right away.

In that thread it is very clear that you need to honor the court's orders including the 5 year suspention of your driver's license. It was suggested that you move closer to your work so you can walk and not be tempted to drive, there were other suggestions. Perhaps this may be a a good thing as you can sue your landlord for breaking your lease and forcing your move, which will include moving expenses etc. This will offset the cost of moving closer to your work so that you can walk and save you the cost of breaking your lease or commute expenses until 5-2005. During the 5 year suspention you will save money by eliminating commute and cost of vehicle operation and the money you currently spend on alcohol.

HomeGuru

bthesaint45 said:

**A; are you current with your rent and otherwise not in default on the lease?

rmet4nzkx

HomeGuru said:
**A; are you current with your rent and otherwise not in default on the lease?
OP hasn't responded to their other thread about their 3 DUI's and license suspention, guess they are not too interested, :eek: maybe it's happy hour?

HomeGuru

rmet4nzkx said:
OP hasn't responded to their other thread about their 3 DUI's and license suspention, guess they are not too interested, :eek: maybe it's happy hour?
**A: or the writer got so drunk, he/she forgot the posting.

nolaET

I don't know anything about the DWI problem but I had a similar situation with a lease. I lived in a duplex (in Wisconsin) and myself and the other tenant had a lease. For whatever stupid reason, the new owners had some kind of "first time buyers" loan that stated that they could not have a tenant since they had some special deal. I don't know why they bought a duplex. Anyway, we went back and forth with the law since they were legally obligated to enforce their mortgage but they were also legally obligated to honor my lease but in the end, I just moved since it was going to be more time and hassle than I wanted to deal with. However, I did find out that I could have won and they would have had to honor my lease and lose their mortgage deal. I just didn't want these idiots for my landlords.

I think that you have a case as long as you are current with your rent.

rmet4nzkx

nolaET said:
I don't know anything about the DWI problem but I had a similar situation with a lease. I lived in a duplex (in Wisconsin) and myself and the other tenant had a lease. For whatever stupid reason, the new owners had some kind of "first time buyers" loan that stated that they could not have a tenant since they had some special deal. I don't know why they bought a duplex. Anyway, we went back and forth with the law since they were legally obligated to enforce their mortgage but they were also legally obligated to honor my lease but in the end, I just moved since it was going to be more time and hassle than I wanted to deal with. However, I did find out that I could have won and they would have had to honor my lease and lose their mortgage deal. I just didn't want these idiots for my landlords.

I think that you have a case as long as you are current with your rent.
The point is while OP may have a case to fight eviction, they also have to walk or take the bus to work for the next 5 years and need to move closer anyway, this is their chance since the landlord is breaking the lease. Unfortunately, OP has a lot of problems and there is more to this story and OP never answers our questions only asks more. Alcohol has a way of making other things more important.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">