• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I had my SSD Hearing yesterday; Now please tell me about Retroactive, Medicare, etc…

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KidNovak

I had my SSD Hearing, please tell me about Retroactive, Medicare, etc. >> UPDATE <<

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

O.K. let me first fill you in about myself. I was diagnosed of having Crohn_s Disease and Anemia in 1990, even though I had it longer than that, but I don_t think the doctor_s knew what Crohn_s disease was back then. One doctor thought my parents weren_t feeding me. I_ve been seeing the same doctor since 1990 to 2005. Also on 2/2006 I was diagnosed with a cataract in the left eye, doctor said right eye will probably get a cataract too. The good thing is a cataract can be fixed in about 20 minutes if you can afford it. There is no cure for Crohn's Disease. Also everybody with this disease is different.

I worked from 1985 to 9/2003, about five different jobs, all my bosses were a friend, relative or parent's, if that wasn't the case I probably would have filed for SSD a lot sooner. My occupation was computer programming and network manager. 9/2003 was my last day of work because my condition got worse. I do qualify for SSD.

I applied for SSI and SSD in 4/2004. I got turned down twice, but for 6 months I received food stamps, Health Insurance, and presumptive pay. Then I hired an Attorney that only specializes in disability cases.
So after waiting a year and 2 months I finally had my Hearing. It wasn_t too bad. There was the Judge, Recording Lady, Vocational guy, my attorney and me.
If it weren_t for a nice Judge, I would have been a lot more nerves. The Judge asked a lot more questions than I thought, the attorney only asked a few during the testimony. Then at the end of the hearing the judge asked the vocational person if I qualified for any jobs with my current condition. He said I could be a packager or a security guard. LOL, believe me, if you saw my condition I_d be one weak skinny security guard that could only work about 7 days a month if I feel good. Anyway my attorney said something about the jobs to the vocational guy, I didn_t understand, but the vocational guy said no to the questions.
After the hearing my I attorney said I did a good job.

If I get a favorable decision, when will my Retroactive Pay start minus the 5 months waiting period?_when does Medicare begin?_do I receive both SSI and SSD?...how long does it take before I hear about a decision?...and what will be my total back pay?

Great forum!

Thank you,
Novak

Last edited:

weenor

If I get a favorable decision, when will my Retroactive Pay start minus the 5 months waiting period?

IF you receive an award the ALJ will determine a date when he believes your disability actually started. Your payments will be retroactive to that that.

_when does Medicare begin?_24 months from the date of your disability.

do I receive both SSI and SSD?...No. SSDI is for individuals with an established work history that have paid into the system. SSI is for individuals have either not worked at all or who have only worked a little bit.

how long does it take before I hear about a decision?.Your attorney is in the best position to tell you because every local ALJ is different.

..and what will be my total back pay? With all due respect, this is a stupid question. We do not know your wage history, your date of disability or the monthly benefits you will be entitled to receive.

Great forum!

Thank you,
Novak

I too was diagnosed with Chrohns in 1989. Since that time I have worked physically demanding and very high stress jobs for 50-70 hours per week. If you are that disabled you really need to find a better doctor, not sit back and collect a check.

KidNovak

I too was diagnosed with Chrohns in 1989. Since that time I have worked physically demanding and very high stress jobs for 50-70 hours per week. If you are that disabled you really need to find a better doctor, not sit back and collect a check.
I don't believe a word you said. If you actually knew about Crohn's Disease you would know everybody is different. Also, my cousin at the age of 39 past away 2 month's ago because of Crohn's. She had some of the best gastrologist doctors treating her in Chicago.

Anyway, if you had Crohn's Disease, you should at least know how to spell it correctly.

I could see your point for posting a false reply. I know people that are on SSI for headaches, backaches, etc... I know they can find a job.

I also plan on working again... the 3 years I was out of work I learned a very lot of info about Crohn's and myself...might even help other Crohn's people one day or write a book. That being said, I deserve my SSD back pay, I paid SS.

That's all I have to say...Hope I didn't offend anybody. sorry if I did.

Novak

Brewmonkey

I just went through the appeals process myself and while each case will be a bit different hopefully my experience will be somewhat similar to yours.

First you must know that the average wait time for a decision after the hearing is just a bit over 2 months. Once the ALJ has made their decision they will file it with the SSA and they will send you a copy of the decision. Should you receive a decision you do not agree with, they will include instructions on how you can proceed from that point.

With a favorable decision it once again becomes a waiting game. Once they have entered your favorable decision it will take some time to get your paperwork off to Baltimore MD where they will determine how much your monthly rate will be as well they will need to determine your back pay. If you had an attorney represent you they will also need to calculate their portion. Be advised, your attorney will get paid before you do!

It took a few weeks after my decision for the paperwork to arrive in Baltimore. Once there I was told it would be at least 1 month for them to calculate all the pay/backpay before they would send me the paperwork notifying me of how much I would receive. With that paperwork you will receive instructions on how to get them your banking information to set up direct deposit, should you wish.

Once they have determined your pay and everything is hunky dory you should receive your monthly check based on their method and date of payments. They use your birthday to determine what time of the month you will receive disability payments, it is different for SSI though.

You should also know that should you be entitled to backpay and should that pay be more then $15K, you will receive it in installments of $15K. They apparently do not issue checks larger then $15K according to my attorney.

From your hearing until your first check issued it could be 3-4 months and then a bit longer for backpay.

Payment Calendar
http://www.social-security-disability-claims.org/2005-disability-calendar.html

More information once you have been approved
http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dapproval.htm

I hope this is of some help to you.

KidNovak

Update...

Hi,

I had my hearing on 10-10-2006 and still waiting patiently on a decision.

From what I’ve read it can take 60+ days for a decision.

I will keep you updated.

Novak

BL

O.K. let me first fill you in about myself. I was diagnosed of having Crohn_s Disease and Anemia in 1990, even though I had it longer than that, but I don_t think the doctor_s knew what Crohn_s disease was back then. One doctor thought my parents weren_t feeding me. I_ve been seeing the same doctor since 1990 to 2005. Also on 2/2006 I was diagnosed with a cataract in the left eye, doctor said right eye will probably get a cataract too. The good thing is a cataract can be fixed in about 20 minutes if you can afford it. There is no cure for Crohn's Disease. Also everybody with this disease is different.

I worked from 1985 to 9/2003, about five different jobs, all my bosses were a friend, relative or parent's, if that wasn't the case I probably would have filed for SSD a lot sooner. My occupation was computer programming and network manager. 9/2003 was my last day of work because my condition got worse. I do qualify for SSD.

I applied for SSI and SSD in 4/2004. I got turned down twice, but for 6 months I received food stamps, Health Insurance, and presumptive pay. Then I hired an Attorney that only specializes in disability cases.
So after waiting a year and 2 months I finally had my Hearing. It wasn_t too bad. There was the Judge, Recording Lady, Vocational guy, my attorney and me.
If it weren_t for a nice Judge, I would have been a lot more nerves. The Judge asked a lot more questions than I thought, the attorney only asked a few during the testimony. Then at the end of the hearing the judge asked the vocational person if I qualified for any jobs with my current condition. He said I could be a packager or a security guard. LOL, believe me, if you saw my condition I_d be one weak skinny security guard that could only work about 7 days a month if I feel good. Anyway my attorney said something about the jobs to the vocational guy, I didn_t understand, but the vocational guy said no to the questions.
After the hearing my I attorney said I did a good job.

If I get a favorable decision, when will my Retroactive Pay start minus the 5 months waiting period?_when does Medicare begin?_do I receive both SSI and SSD?...how long does it take before I hear about a decision?...and what will be my total back pay?

Great forum!

Thank you,
Novak
Why haven't you asked your Attorney ?

Medicare kicks in after 2 years . Until then the State should assist you . After Medicare and State .

It shouldn't be too long before your sent the decision and that should explain more of your questions about retroactive , etc .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">