• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

13 yr old has right to know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

childguard

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I am legal guardian to a 13 yr old. She is a relative's daughter. I was granted guardianship 12 years ago with the mother's agreement and the father listed on the birth certificate's agreement and the courts. The mother has four other children. Several years ago the "father" listed on the birth certificate was also claimed to be the father of another one of the children and DNA tests were done. He is not the father of the daughter. Now the mother has named another man as the father to the daughter. Naturally, the daughter wants to know who her biological father is. The man has stated that he would like to know "for sure" before beginning a relationship with her. OK, my question is...can he/we have a dna test done through the state other without pursuing child support? We just want to know if he is her father.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why go through the state? He is the LEGAL father - if you really must have a DNA test done, you can do it privately...
But, does it matter? I mean, how much has this poor kid been told?

Why go through the state? He is the LEGAL father - if you really must have a DNA test done, you can do it privately...
But, does it matter? I mean, how much has this poor kid been told?

I think she is saying the "legal" father has been shown via DNA to not be the girls dad. Now mom is naming another guy and OP wants to know if they should do a DNA test via the state, but does not want to do child support. Understandable, the new guy mom named does not want to start a relationship with the child unless he knows the child is for sure his.

OP the test does not have to be done through the state. You all can do a test privately. There are about a bazillion reputable company's out there that do this. Most you can find online.

childguard

The child has known for several years that man #1 is not her father. Now her mother has told her that man #2 is her father. The only reason for wanting to go through the state was because of the cost of a dna test, also think the "mother" may not be agreeable to proving paternity.

CourtClerk

The state should not become a party to the family's soap opera, unless mom intends on going after this man for child support, so no, the state will not simply just fork over money for a test just so everyone feels better.

childguard

I think she is saying the "legal" father has been shown via DNA to not be the girls dad. Now mom is naming another guy and OP wants to know if they should do a DNA test via the state, but does not want to do child support. Understandable, the new guy mom named does not want to start a relationship with the child unless he knows the child is for sure his.

OP the test does not have to be done through the state. You all can do a test privately. There are about a bazillion reputable company's out there that do this. Most you can find online.

Escape to paradise you are correct about the circumstance. To other post, no we have never received any type of financial support from anyone or any agency. We've managed all these years and will continue to manage, but can't really afford to pay $1,000 or more for testing (what I had been told it would cost).

childguard

ok, I get it, we can't get help from the state for the dna test. Just curious though, How could "mom" go for child support...she doesn't have the child.

Second question, are the "home" dna tests reliable or should we just bite the bullet and borrow money to get the "traditional" tests. Honestly expect this "father" to not be the one either.

CourtClerk

Why don't you leave well enough alone and stop dragging this child from DNA test to DNA test so that eventually she can get the idea that her mother is/was a wh*re that slept around town and no one knows WHO her father is. What are you going to do? Test the whole county?

If you don't know who the child's father is, just let it be already. All of you are going to do some serious psychological harm to this poor kid.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
CC i get what you are saying but disagree. This child has a right to know. Who did the DNA test to prove that guy #1 was not daddy? They should have the sample on file. And they should be the ones contacted to determine whether or not guy 2 is daddy. Guy two should quite frankly bring a paternity suit and then mom would have to pay for the testing if he is not daddy. He would have to pay if he is.. Traditionally at least.

Silverplum

ok, I get it, we can't get help from the state for the dna test.
"We" who?
And no, I The Taxpayer am completely uninterested in paying for some chick's multiple unknown father problems. Tell her to call Maury, see if he wants to do a show for her. :rolleyes:
childguard said:
Just curious though, How could "mom" go for child support...she doesn't have the child.
Then why should she "go" for CS??

You folk have some pretty strange ideas about what the legal system is about, what it is for, etc.

mesmom

OP: Open the yellow pages and call around to different labs and just ask what their fee is for DNA testing. That's what I did at least. The prices varied from $250 - $600 and that was for one that was court admissible. It was lower for someone that just wanted to know and didn’t need a chain of custody for evidence for a court case.

fairisfair

You can get a home test kit for about $99.

I would assume that being the legal guardian would give you the right to perform the test without mom's consent.

CourtClerk

CC i get what you are saying but disagree. This child has a right to know. Who did the DNA test to prove that guy #1 was not daddy? They should have the sample on file. And they should be the ones contacted to determine whether or not guy 2 is daddy. Guy two should quite frankly bring a paternity suit and then mom would have to pay for the testing if he is not daddy. He would have to pay if he is.. Traditionally at least.
Although I think the baby has a right to know who her parents are, I hate the thought of dragging her from DNA test to DNA test to DNA test to DNA test (lord knows HOW many people need to be tested).

Reminds me of that children's book about the dog "Are you my daddy?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">