• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15yo keeps making false allegations to get his own way.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MelpomeneTears

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My 15 year old cousin is currently without a parent. His father lives in NC and doesn't show any signs of interest and his mother recently passed away. He was living with his mother's significant other until recently. He decided he wanted to move in with his girlfriend's family. His girlfriend's family agreed to let him move in but our family (and his mother's significant other) are against this as he has admitted that he is having sex with his girlfriend, besides the fact we want him to be raised by family. My cousin was upset so he called CPS and said he was being abused by his mother's significant other, so they removed him from the home and placed him with his older sister who has a 2 year old while they investigated. When she let him know she wanted to try to get custody of him so he would live there permantly he ran away and called the police saying he left because they were doing drugs in the house. So now his sister is being looked into. The police wanted a family member to take him in so my mother took him in and filed custody paperwork and has a court date on Monday, his girlfriend's mother also filed paperwork and was advised that unless my mother was proved unfit that my mother would recieve custody. My cousin heard this and decided to call CPS yesterday while my mother was at work and say that my mother was beating him, then he left the house and left a note on the table saying "I'm sorry, but I just don't want you to go to court on Monday". My mother is pretty much fed up and doesn't feel it is safe to take custody of him due to the possibility of losing her job over the investigation as she works with the mentally hadicapped. My question is, isn't there something that can be done when he is so obviously making false claims to get what he wants? I mean he left a note which pretty much states that it was so he could live with his girlfriend. CPS agrees, but no one seems to think anything can be done? There has to be some culpability at some point doesn't there?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My 15 year old cousin is currently without a parent. His father lives in NC and doesn't show any signs of interest and his mother recently passed away. He was living with his mother's significant other until recently. He decided he wanted to move in with his girlfriend's family. His girlfriend's family agreed to let him move in but our family (and his mother's significant other) are against this as he has admitted that he is having sex with his girlfriend, besides the fact we want him to be raised by family. My cousin was upset so he called CPS and said he was being abused by his mother's significant other, so they removed him from the home and placed him with his older sister who has a 2 year old while they investigated. When she let him know she wanted to try to get custody of him so he would live there permantly he ran away and called the police saying he left because they were doing drugs in the house. So now his sister is being looked into. The police wanted a family member to take him in so my mother took him in and filed custody paperwork and has a court date on Monday, his girlfriend's mother also filed paperwork and was advised that unless my mother was proved unfit that my mother would recieve custody. My cousin heard this and decided to call CPS yesterday while my mother was at work and say that my mother was beating him, then he left the house and left a note on the table saying "I'm sorry, but I just don't want you to go to court on Monday". My mother is pretty much fed up and doesn't feel it is safe to take custody of him due to the possibility of losing her job over the investigation as she works with the mentally hadicapped. My question is, isn't there something that can be done when he is so obviously making false claims to get what he wants? I mean he left a note which pretty much states that it was so he could live with his girlfriend. CPS agrees, but no one seems to think anything can be done? There has to be some culpability at some point doesn't there?
If CPS is agreeing that he is making false claims because he wants to live with his girlfriend, and its reached the point where no one in the family feels safe taking custody of him, then I think a stint in foster care might do this young man a world of good.

Or in the alternative, your mother should go ahead and get custody, and then give him a semester or two in boot camp.

I do feel sorry for the child because he has lost his mother and his father is not interested. I can also understand why he is particularly clinging to his girlfriend. However, he is only 15 and he needs to either be with family, or be somewhere where he has to deal with the consequences of his actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">