• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19yrs dating 17

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pty

sweetiebaby02v said:
I was in the same situation as you are in. The legal age to consent in Texas is 17 and her dad can not do anything to you except put a restraining order on you. I am still 17 and my fiancee is 19. The only way he can file anything on you is if you are 3 years older than her!

Well, sweetiebaby, you have about 1/2 of your information correct. The age of sexual consent in Texas is 17. That only means that if the two of you have sex, then you cannot be charged with statutory rape. BUT that has nothing to do with the issue that as a minor, her parents have control over who she can/cannot see. If they forbid you to see her and you do it anyway, then there are laws being broken. Texas has laws regarding interference with child custody (a child being defined as anyone under the age of 18) and enticing a child (again, a child being defined as anyone under the age of 18) and there are probably a few more laws as well. The short answer is, as others have said, if her parents forbid you to see her, then you can't see her until she's 18. As for rather not you'll be able to change her father's mind--frankly, it sounds like that's an extremely unlikely possibility. Wait it out for a year and then you'll have no problems.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Age of consent means only that she is old enough to have sex. If her parents don't want her dating you - they can put a stop to it until she turns 18. Even then - if she lives under their roof, they can make it a house rule that she can't date you or she's out the door.

imsadbcofher

ahhh...yea, this issue beeing driving me nuts...i havent seen her in more htan a week. if u guys insist that i shouldnt see her until she's 18 then wat must i tell her? though i am planning a see her soon and i know it's gonna be a great risk :( --- and yea, i know her father is doing the right thing.

Wolflmg

imsadbcofher said:
ahhh...yea, this issue beeing driving me nuts...i havent seen her in more htan a week. if u guys insist that i shouldnt see her until she's 18 then wat must i tell her? though i am planning a see her soon and i know it's gonna be a great risk :( --- and yea, i know her father is doing the right thing.
You tell her you'll wait for her. That he father is doing the right thing, because he knows what's best.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I still don't see why you won't call Dad and ask him under what circumstances he'd allow you to see his daughter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And actually, thinking further, ethnicity DOES matter in this situation. Almost all Asian peoples place a huge cultural value on respect - especially of elders. You'd go a long way in gaining his good favor if you did something along the following lines.

Call HIM and ask if you could speak with him in person. When you meet with him, tell him that you like his daughter, would like to get to know her better, and would like to ask his permission to do so. Tell him that you understand that you started off on the wrong foot, that you sincerely regret it, and that you completely understand if he expects any contact between you and his daughter to be chaperoned for the time being.

Put a cramp in your style? Well, yeah - it will. But if you really like this girl, you'll be willing to jump through the hoops he requires to prove yourself. If you're not wiling to do that? Then your intentions are less than honorable and you should walk away towards a girl without those ethnic restrictions.

AHA

stealth2 said:
And actually, thinking further, ethnicity DOES matter in this situation. Almost all Asian peoples place a huge cultural value on respect - especially of elders. You'd go a long way in gaining his good favor if you did something along the following lines.

Call HIM and ask if you could speak with him in person. When you meet with him, tell him that you like his daughter, would like to get to know her better, and would like to ask his permission to do so. Tell him that you understand that you started off on the wrong foot, that you sincerely regret it, and that you completely understand if he expects any contact between you and his daughter to be chaperoned for the time being.

Put a cramp in your style? Well, yeah - it will. But if you really like this girl, you'll be willing to jump through the hoops he requires to prove yourself. If you're not wiling to do that? Then your intentions are less than honorable and you should walk away towards a girl without those ethnic restrictions.
I grew up with a couple of Asian girls in my school and their fathers didn't let them date any guy that wasn't Asian and even then the dating was very controlled and restricted! Same thing with Middle Eastern girls in my hometown.

imsadbcofher

yea, my mom made me break up with my last girlfriend cuz of ethnicity issues. but then again this time the girl i like is the same race -_-. it sucks so bad that my parents dont know that i am dating her without her parents' consent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So why don't you work on GETTING her parents' consent? This isn't rocket science, dude. If you can't do that AND feel the need to lie to your parents about it, perhaps you really should stay away from relationships for a while.

pty

Just my 2 cents--I'm not getting the impression that this has anything to do with race. This is a father who has caught an adult with his hands all over his minor daughter--not once, but twice. This is a father who sees his child possibly headed down the road to sex, which all too often ends in pregnancy. He's concerned that his child could end up in a situation which will have a major effect on the course of her life. That concern is not exclusive to Asian fathers.

sarah17

well i agree with what stealth said. have you even considered going up to her father and talking to him. well to be honost my dad hated my bf for an entire yr! he finally started to like him bc my bf kissed his butt-- well in a sense-- it took a long time for my dad to like him at all. so u just need to talk to him bout stuff he likes and similarities u 2 have that will help break the ice.

imsadbcofher

and yea, he's a northern vietnamese and i am a southern. so i dont really know if they have anything against each other. well, at least i dont -_-. But ya, i have thought of going to talk to him. I dont really know how to get a hold of him unless i camp outside the house and wait until he gets home. And another reason I dont want to do so is because based on how it is right i doubt he would change his mind and be swayed by my words. And if i ask him i get a 50% 50% chance of having this relationship or not at all. So ya, it's a tough decision to make.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
imsadbcofher said:
and yea, he's a northern vietnamese and i am a southern. so i dont really know if they have anything against each other.
You're not the brightest bulb on the block, are ya? Have you ever heard of a little skirmish back, oh 30, 35 years ago known as Vietnam War? Hello?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">