• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st DUI what next???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randscott

California...
Prior to being arrested for a dui, I had a perfect driving record, and no criminal history. I wasn't even drunk... just over the legal limit. A friend of mine who had a dui and didn't seek legal help says that I should try to get a lawer involved. All the ones that seem good are way to expensive for me... is it worth it to get a cheaper one...or is there something else I should do??? any and all advice and oppinions would be more than welcome. Thanks

garrula lingua

What was your BAC ?
Was your driving observed by the cop ?
Why were you stopped ?

...Standard 1st time DUI on CA: 36 months summary probation, fine of $390 plus penalty and assessments (will total approx 1400), 3 month alcohol program, and, some jurisdictions add 48 hrs county jail, but will give credit for time @ arrest (other jurisdictions do not require any jail time and will credit any time served agin the fine @ rate of $30 per day served).

There are enhancements for reckless driving (mandatory 60 days in jail) and having a child in the car, being .15 or over on the BAC, etc.

garrula lingua

...Also, DMV has separate consequences from the court.

If you want to challenge DMV's suspension of your driver's license, you must request an administrative hearing with DMV within 10 days of the offense.

Normally, DMV will suspend your driving privileges for 3 or 4 months for a DUI (one year for a refusal),

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Hiring a lawyer was too expensive for all of us. But it's something you have to "swing", if you want to defend yourself. If you are at poverty level, you may qualify for a public defender. I suggest you tighten up the budget, sell something, or hit the bank for a loan and get a qualified DUI defense lawyer. It is probable that they have more evidence against you than the BAC test, which is not favorable to your case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">