• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2009 Tax Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

Perhaps I missed it but, I didn't see where GElite said the bill was correct. Just because the state or some collection agency sends a bill doesn't mean it is correct or valid. If GElite questions the bill then send a letter (on paper) within 30 days requesting verification of the debt. That will clarify whether it is valid or not.
I've been contacted by a collection agency working for a state trying to collect a tax bill that I didn't owe. In my case I sent my letter in 1986 and haven't heard anything since.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps I missed it but, I didn't see where GElite said the bill was correct. Just because the state or some collection agency sends a bill doesn't mean it is correct or valid. If GElite questions the bill then send a letter (on paper) within 30 days requesting verification of the debt. That will clarify whether it is valid or not.
I've been contacted by a collection agency working for a state trying to collect a tax bill that I didn't owe. In my case I sent my letter in 1986 and haven't heard anything since.
The OP states that he has no problem paying it. The implication is that the OP agrees with it. Of course, the OP hopes he can get it reduced.

LdiJ

He didn't get a letter from a collection agency he got a letter from the State of Alabama (maybe, it being a scam hasn't been ruled out). Therefore asking for the debt to be verified is not proper. Asking the state to explain why they think that he owes money is appropriate, after he rules out it being a scam. If that doesn't solve the problem then trying to invoke the statute of limitations might be appropriate.

GElite

Thanks for all the replies, I believe this is from a roughly $500 tax debt that I never paid. 2009 was the last year I filed taxes in AL until 2019. I had a traumatic brain injury in late 2009 and I did not work for many years. My ex wife filed my taxes that year and the debt was never paid. So I believe that means the debt was assessed in 2009 and I have lived in AL this entire time.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thanks for all the replies, I believe this is from a roughly $500 tax debt that I never paid. 2009 was the last year I filed taxes in AL until 2019. I had a traumatic brain injury in late 2009 and I did not work for many years. My ex wife filed my taxes that year and the debt was never paid. So I believe that means the debt was assessed in 2009 and I have lived in AL this entire time.
The earliest that a 2009 return would have been filed is January 2010. It could have been (and likely was) filed months after that, however. It may be, though, that your ex never filed that 2009 return for you and that the state prepared one instead some years later. You need to contact the state and find out when the tax was assessed and whether the amount owed is from a return you (or your ex) filed or whether the state did an assessment of tax as a substitute return. Knowing that information will help you figure out what to do about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">