• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k Vesting Requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daj24601

I realize the issue about standing. I am just looking for information since I have no experience or exposure to employee benefit law. When I said "so I don't have to take action," I really meant I as in we since we would pay for the lawyer to represent her. But thanks for the heads up at any rate.

It looks like it is a step method for vesting. By my calculations, she was vested 20% in the employers contributions. Now I (we, or rather she) need to make sure we received the full 3% my wife contributed plus 20% of the employers contributions.

Thanks again for all your comments. Like I said, employee benefits is a foreign subject to me.

chitown

Fairly stringent rules and regs mandating employER, as fiduciary/trustee, compliance. If your wife's employEE account balance is less than 5-10K employer can simply cut her a check for 100% of her contributions. Make sure to open an IRA in Wife's name only and contribute this money within 60 days of the date the check was written to avoid 10% penalty and income tax on the amount. The employer sounds unsophisticated so I question how much $$ it contributed on your Wife's behalf. Check out the rollover provisions upon termination contained in the plan document. Most times they are written (purposely) so non attorneys can read and comprehend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">