• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hdluvngal68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

About a month ago, I was involved in a MINOR accident. I was approaching a stop sign in my older model Honda. One car was in front of me....A 4 wheel drive SUV. She started to go, I was looking to my left to go up to the line. Well, she stopped cuz a car came flying by on the road we were trying to pull out onto. And I hit her. Well, rolled into her. We pulled over, exchanged info etc. She had a scratch in her bumper, not even a dent since I basically rolled under her. My headlight cover broke, but the bulbs didnt even break. And I have a small dent on my hood from rolling under her car.

Well, heres the problem! I get paid once a month and my check is sent via USPS mail. My checked was delayed a few days due to the weekend and a holiday, so my insurance (liablility only) lapsed for a few days. I got paid the day of the accident and was on my way to the bank ( 2 miles from my house) to deposit my check so I could call and resinstate my insurance (a month to month policy). The other driver didnt seem to concerened about the scratch. I went straight to the bank after that, made my deposit and called from the bank parking lot to make my payement and get reinstated. So two days later she calls to get my policy number (at the time, I had the company info on my but not the actual number) I gave it to her kinda questioned her given the damage to her car was a scratch. She said that she was in an accident a year ago and hurt her back. And that it was just starting to get better, and now this aggravated it again....Sigh....cant really see how given that I was literally going 3-5 miles per hour and she was in a SUV and I was in a Honda.

Anyway, her insurance company called me two weeks later and said that they contacted my company and that I wasnt covered at the time. I explained to them what had occurred and even about what she said to me when she called me two days later. Now the other day, I got something from DMV as a "courtesy reminder" to report the incident given that it was over $750 in property damage....I didnt report it to the DMV given that in my opinion, a scratch wasnt over $750!!

I am so scared and soooo stressed about this! Am I gonna have my license suspended?? I drive for work and can't afford to lose my license! I TOTALLY realize that i should have never driven to the bank, but rather roller skated.

I got it reinstated that day and am paid up now till January, and have no probs paying fines or penalties or whatever I might have to to the DMV, but do you think they will suspend my license???

And as far as her "back damage" I guess Im gonna have to wait and see what comes up with that!

Any advice, good or bad, I guess, will help! This whole situation is so stressful! Just the not knowing! Ive always been a responsible insured driver, no accidents EVER and am just soooo scared! If I lose my license, I will lose everything I have...which isnt much, but my business, my roof, my livelihood! And being a single mom, this would just destroy me!

Last edited:

justalayman

Well, heres the problem! I get paid once a month and my check is sent via USPS mail. My checked was delayed a few days due to the weekend and a holiday, so my insurance (liablility only) lapsed for a few days.
So you did not have insurance at the time of the accident.

I got paid the day of the accident and was on my way to the bank ( 2 miles from my house) to deposit my check so I could call and resinstate my insurance (a month to month policy).
but that does not alter the fact you were driving without insurance.

The other driver didnt seem to concerened about the scratch.
so they were well composed. Doesn;t change anything.

I gave it to her kinda questioned her given the damage to her car was a scratch.
doesn't make any difference You were responsible for her damage so she is entitled for payment for the damage regardless how much it was.

She said that she was in an accident a year ago and hurt her back. And that it was just starting to get better, and now this aggravated it again....Sigh....
that sure sucks.

cant really see how given that I was literally going 3-5 miles per hour and she was in a SUV and I was in a Honda.
I can as my wife was in a similar accident. She now has an artificial shoulder but had about 8 or so surgeries prior to the joint replacement. It most definately was due to such a low speed accident.

Anyway, her insurance company called me two weeks later and said that they contacted my company and that I wasnt covered at the time.
but you already knew that.

Now the other day, I got something from DMV as a "courtesy reminder" to report the incident given that it was over $750 in property damage....I didnt report it to the DMV given that in my opinion, a scratch wasnt over $750!!
here are california's rules on reporting an accident:

There was property damage of more than $750 ($500 for accidents prior to January 1, 2003) or
Anyone was injured (no matter how minor)
or
Anyone was killed.
your accident fits the bill.

Am I gonna have my license suspended??
I believe california has a mandatory 1 year suspension for driving without insurance.

I drive for work and can't afford to lose my license!
I guess you really have a problem.

I TOTALLY realize that i should have never driven to the bank, but rather roller skated.
Good but you should have reaized that before the accident. You can't turn back the clock.

I got it reinstated that day and am paid up now till January, and have no probs paying fines or penalties or whatever I might have to to the DMV, but do you think they will suspend my license???
yes I do.

Ive always been a responsible insured driver, no accidents EVER and am just soooo scared!
Apparently you are not a responsible driver. One definition of "responsible driver" is you have the required insurance, at all times.

If I lose my license, I will lose everything I have...which isnt much, but my business, my roof, my livelihood! And being a single mom, this would just destroy me!
Sorry to hear this. I believe the suspension is non-negotiable in general. I do not know if there is a possibility of a restricted license available for work only or such. You probably should call the DMV and start researching this.

ecmst12

You are going to have to pay for her property damage (make sure she gives you an estimate) and if she decides to pursue you for an injury claim, you'll have to pay for that too. You should get a lawyer in that case - make sure she proves her case sufficiently.

I'm fairly sure the license suspension is mandatory as well, but you can contact a lawyer specializing in license issues and see if there is anything to be done. It will be more expensive the it would have been to pay your insurance on time, but less expensive then losing your job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The suspension is mandatory, but you can apply for a "provisional" (not the right word) license to allow you to drive to/from and during the course of work.

ecmst12

If her job requires her to have a valid driver's license in good standing, own car and insurance, they could easily still fire her for this, even if she gets the provisional license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">