• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6-week Lay Off Notice and asked to report to another office during that time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troutette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I just received a termination notice due to lack of funding and they told me I had to report to a different branch everyday (over an hour drive) for the rest of my term on employment (6 weeks).

Is that legal? I was hired in headquarters. I have an old car and do not want to add the additional wear and tear to do that just to be let go and then have my car die on my with no job. Also, it is very clear that the president wanted me gone sooner as he told the CEO "he sees no value in me". On top of the wear and tear on my car, I certainly don't want to spend the end of my time with this company being in a hostile environment.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you.

swalsh411

Yes it's legal to ask you to work at a different location. If you quit and file for unemployment on the grounds that you do not have reliable transportation to the new, more distant, location I would say your chances are about 50/50 that your reason for quitting will be considered good cause. Whether or not this will be a hostile environment is pure speculation and not relevant.

OHRoadwarrior

As previously mentioned, it is a 50/50 proposition for unemployment. They may deem an hour trip to be suitable.
I travel that to work regularly.

Beth3

Also, it is very clear that the president wanted me gone sooner as he told the CEO "he sees no value in me". On top of the wear and tear on my car, I certainly don't want to spend the end of my time with this company being in a hostile environment.

This is not remotely a hostile work environment as defined in the law.

I suggest you commute to your new work location and then ask co-workers about the possibility of car pooling. There may be someone driving there from your area. Even if you find someone who's only half-way on your drive to the new location, that cuts down the additional mileage on your car by half.

Mass_Shyster

My guess is that they are hoping you'll simply quit, rather than drive, and that they'll lay you off before the six weeks is up.

Hot Topic

Save the talk about a "hostile environment" until you're job hunting. Compete with people much younger than yourself for jobs. Send in a resume nobody reads because the company already has received 200 applications for the same job. Be forced by circumstances to apply for a job that pays $10 an hour when you were making $16. With benefits.

Then come back and talk to us about hostile environments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">