• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

6 yr old Sleeping in same room with parent.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snick_cochran

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I have been in sole custody of my 5 1/2 year old boy, who his father has been out of his life for 3 1/2 years and all of a sudden comes back into my son's life in the past year. My son is now seeing his father and going over there everyother weekend. His father is wanting to start having him 50/50, My concern is that he lives in a one bedroom appartment with his new fiance. I have heard that there are regulations for this problem, I don't feel comfortable with all three of them sharing the same room. But I need it backed up with laws before I take this to his father and tell him how and why I don't agree.

My son has always came to my room if he has nightmares or sick, but I never had him in the same room as me and any boyfriends.

What are the laws here with this, all his father and I do is argue about this, and he keeps saying that I'm not thinking about my son. I want to know is what I'm doing is wrong..:confused:

Silverplum

I have been in sole custody of my 5 1/2 year old boy, who his father has been out of his life for 3 1/2 years and all of a sudden comes back into my son's life in the past year. My son is now seeing his father and going over there everyother weekend. His father is wanting to start having him 50/50, My concern is that he lives in a one bedroom appartment with his new fiance. I have heard that there are regulations for this problem, I don't feel comfortable with all three of them sharing the same room. But I need it backed up with laws before I take this to his father and tell him how and why I don't agree.

My son has always came to my room if he has nightmares or sick, but I never had him in the same room as me and any boyfriends.

What are the laws here with this, all his father and I do is argue about this, and he keeps saying that I'm not thinking about my son. I want to know is what I'm doing is wrong..:confused:
There are NO "regulations" in this matter.

Son can sleep in the living room. It's not a reason to deny him time with his father.

Isis1

there is no law that says parents and children have to sleep in seperate rooms.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A judge is more likely to suggest that Dad have the boy - or the fiancee - sleep on the sofa than deny visitation. Are Dad & fiancee getting it on while the kid is there, in the same room? Then it may not be seen as a huge deal.

wileybunch

My 11yo DD got in bed with me last night, 2 nights ago it was her twin brother, and tonight my 11yo went to bed in my bed and I had to get her and walk her (too big to carry now) half asleep into her bed. :) No laws against it. :)

nextwife

My 11yo DD got in bed with me last night, 2 nights ago it was her twin brother, and tonight my 11yo went to bed in my bed and I had to get her and walk her (too big to carry now) half asleep into her bed. :) No laws against it. :)
We have a large roll out sleepover mat and my 12 year old slept next to our bed Saturday night. She just wanted to sleep near us - she'd been reading something in her English class that affected her.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My 16 yo daughter still crawls into bed with me now and again - for no real reason. Sometimes, when the older one is away, we do it on purpose to have a girls' night - chick flicks, snacks, etc.

nextwife - what did she read? Just curious. My oldest has had several books affect him deeply. The reaction I remember most vividly was after he'd read "Night" for the first time - he curled up in my arms and sobbed at the cruelty and inhumanity. Yeah, he's a bit.... sensitive sometimes.

LdiJ

Unless your court orders state that dad is to phase up to a 50/50 timeshare, you honestly do not have to agree to that. You don't have to "prove" anything to dad. You just don't have to agree.

He has only been back in the child's life for a year, to me, it would not be in the best interest of the child to jump to 50/50. A judge may or may not agree with me, but I would let the judge decide.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with a child sleeping on the couch or sleeping in the same room with a parent (not with a boyfriend or a girlfriend present though) in an every other weekend situation. However, if the child was going to be living with dad half time then I do think that the child needs his own space.

futuredust

My 16 yo daughter still crawls into bed with me now and again - for no real reason. Sometimes, when the older one is away, we do it on purpose to have a girls' night - chick flicks, snacks, etc.

nextwife - what did she read? Just curious. My oldest has had several books affect him deeply. The reaction I remember most vividly was after he'd read "Night" for the first time - he curled up in my arms and sobbed at the cruelty and inhumanity. Yeah, he's a bit.... sensitive sometimes.
My soon to be 17yr old daughter does the same thing, and we also have "girls night" as well, every now and then.

My sons are 16 & 13, they also crawl in the bed to watch a movie or talk and fall asleep .. most times they wake up after a few hours and stumble off to their own rooms. But I don't make them leave or tell them they cannot stay.

Has your son read The boy in the striped pajamas yet?.. My oldest son has and I have it on my younger son's reading list for the summer.

snick_cochran

I have only had 2 men since my son has been born and none of them has ever slept with me in the same room. My son is my world. I love when he comes to sleep with me. my only concern is what is he learning over there with them, sleeping in the same room and being able to see everything they are doing to eachother. I know better to not let my child see those things, he is too young. Right now it's only Friday to Wednesday everyother week, and I still don't like it but I will never deny visits from his father no matter what he did to us.

Thanks everyone..

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have only had 2 men since my son has been born and none of them has ever slept with me in the same room. My son is my world. I love when he comes to sleep with me. my only concern is what is he learning over there with them, sleeping in the same room and being able to see everything they are doing to eachother. I know better to not let my child see those things, he is too young. Right now it's only Friday to Wednesday everyother week, and I still don't like it but I will never deny visits from his father no matter what he did to us.

Thanks everyone..
And how do you know they are doing ANYTHING to each other in your son's presence? Seriously.

LdiJ

super duper HD extra scrumdelicious exray vision vision:cool:
Or, they could be like my ex brother in law and his wife, who brag about the fact that they have an active sex life, even though their child sleeps in the same bed as them, because she sleeps so "soundly"....sigh and EWWW.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">