• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

?? About Driving with restricted license in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

As Garrison Keillor would say "I don't know what is in it and I don't care to know."
(He was actually talking about Velveta at the time, but the principle is the same).

outonbail

What IS bologna anyway?
This is Oscar Mayer's top secret. However I've heard from a reliable source that floor sweepings are somewhere in the recipe. How much and from who's floor,,, I really can't say.

Er, maybe it's one of those questions that are better left unanswered.....
Yes, I believe it is,,,,, sort of like how many dead beetles are legally permitted in the mix for each batch of Fig Newtons.

Isis1

This is Oscar Mayer's top secret. However I've heard from a reliable source that floor sweepings are somewhere in the recipe. How much and from who's floor,,, I really can't say.

Yes, I believe it is,,,,, sort of like how many dead beetles are legally permitted in the mix for each batch of Fig Newtons.
yep, i was in there less then 24 hours. my sentence was for 15 days. it long enough for ME to never drink and drive again. i like food. ALOT. and actually, i have never touched bolgna since. nor have i eaten a peanut butter sandwhich.

i may never touch a fig newton again ever now, thanks to you :eek:

baylee wade

CA Restricted License - Business Owner - Can I drive to and from work with my child?

Sharing a business with my husband ... my lic is restricted for a few months ---
we have my husband pick child up from school and take him to our business .... I go to the business and work ...

am I allowed to drive my son home from work?

Are other people allowed in the car with me when I am driving to and from work and the program??

I cannot find the answer to this question any where. Not even on the DMV site. I do not want to risk any more trouble - but my son is disabled and my husband gets home too late to take him home himself.

Thanks to anyone that knows!

Blessings.

AHA

Yes, thank you for not flaming me. I do understand your logic. I just want to point out that the little advice that I gave was to have the OP live within the restrictions of his license, not to circumvent them. You may not agree and that's OK.
The postal stamped envelope just helps the Judge decide whether the job was just BS made up after the fact or whether it actually existed prior to the occurance.
As Carl wisely points out, some police officers will call to verify. If the other party can't verify then the OP could be in a bit of a mess.

P.S. By the way, it was a very experienced probate Judge that introduced me to the Postal time stamp....
No matter how you try to twist it now, it is "BS made up after the fact", which would be trying to circumvent the restrictions.

CdwJava

Sharing a business with my husband ... my lic is restricted for a few months ---
we have my husband pick child up from school and take him to our business .... I go to the business and work ...

am I allowed to drive my son home from work?

Are other people allowed in the car with me when I am driving to and from work and the program??

I cannot find the answer to this question any where. Not even on the DMV site. I do not want to risk any more trouble - but my son is disabled and my husband gets home too late to take him home himself.

Thanks to anyone that knows!

Blessings.
That depends on whether these related pick-up and drop-off duties are directly on your way to or from work and not side jaunts. Also, time of day or night, manner of dress, etc., will all play into things. Driving with bathing suits on and smelling of suntan lotion will likely result in a citation and vehicle impound ... driving with appropriate business attire in an approximate straight route from employment to home, or vice versa, will likely get you a pass.

As a note, this is an old thread and if you wish to take the conversation further, please start your own thread rather than continue to hijack this old one.

- Carl

Jay1000

Driving to community labor

I'm doing community labor to pay off my fine for DUI in California. If I have a restricted license, can I use it to drive to the labor site and back ? I'm guessing it would also be considered "work" but just need to make sure.

Go back and read the conditions of your restricted license.
Please don't get pulled over and tell them "I'm guessing it would also be considered 'work'." :eek:

Jay1000

Go back and read the conditions of your restricted license.
Please don't get pulled over and tell them "I'm guessing it would also be considered 'work'." :eek:

I got my restricted license at the DMV today. The clerk said I could only use it for 'employment' and 'treatment program.' When I asked her if I could use it to go to a job interview (I'm unemployed right now), she repeated the statement. When I asked her if I could use it to go to community service to pay the fine, she repeated the statement again. She wouldn't even talk to me like a person - real sweetheart :rolleyes:. Anyway, guess that's how it goes. Maybe I'll ask a cop when I see one and see what he says.

FlyingRon

You should create a new thread rather than tacking on to a long dead one (especially this one which got silly because of one posters stupid hairbrained answers and a lot of joking responses to it).

The DMV can't give you an interpretation. She's pretty much paraphrasing CVC 13353.7 which is the law. Never take legal advice from a cop.

The rules are to and from work and in the course of employment. If you are going to a job interview, my gut feeling is go directly from home there and back and have PAPER (the invitation for an interview, referral from the employment agency, or whatever) that documents what you are doing.

Unlike other states, the CA restricted license does not cover other needs such as community service, non-dui program doctors appointments, etc... absent some explicit judicial instructions to the contrary, I'd look for alternate transportation.

CdwJava

Actually,asking a local cop CAN be useful ... THEY will be the ones enforcing the law. It would be beneficial to get some take on what the officers think and how they might enforce that provision.

Personally, I would issue the citation, tell you to go home, and compel you to convince a court that the job interview or medical appointment was permissible under the restriction.

FlyingRon

Of course if the cop says you he thinks you can, it means nothing when his donut munching buddy takes a literal reading of the statute and issues you the ticket.

CdwJava

Of course if the cop says you he thinks you can, it means nothing when his donut munching buddy takes a literal reading of the statute and issues you the ticket.
"Donut munching buddy?" Where did THIS come from? We cranky this morning?

Since local police culture is often ... well, cultural, they very often have similar training and attitudes. If the agency's training or practice addresses this sort of thing, chances are most of them are on the same page with it. The cop could tell you what HE might do, but can't vouch for his buddies. Fair enough. But, if he says that they don't cite for that, then chances are this is the prevailing attitude within the agency.

Certainly cops are not attorneys, but neither are the vast majority of internet posters on advice web sites. The officer may not always know the case law behind something, but they can speak to the practice of a particular issue far better than most attorneys. I might not accept an officer's advice on how to best file a lien on a creditor, but I might find it quite valid when it comes to handling traffic matters. The enforcement is a different question than the outcome. Of course none of us can say what a JUDGE might decide, but the judge is not the one interpreting the statute in the street and issuing the citation based upon that interpretation.

So, yes, you can ask an attorney if the job interview is covered under the restriction and even HIS opinion will be merely an opinion and not any more or less valid than the officer's. The code section is pretty clear that a job interview would not appear to be covered. However, a judge would have the final say. So, he can take his chance and hedge his bets.

The point is that the officer has a lot more practical knowledge on the enforcement side than most attorneys, judges, prosecutors, or internet posters. Heck, I even had an Assistant D.A. tell me once that I could lawfully detain witnesses until they provide me with a statement! So, tell me, do LAWYERS always give accurate advice?

And, if the laws were that black and white, why would we even NEED a court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">