• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Accidental Death & Dismemberment claim - I'm not sure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello,

I have a question regarding my step son's death. He was killed in June in a drive-by shooting. His was in the back seat of a car when someone drove by and shot several bullets into the area where his car was parked. He was one of two teenagers that was killed.

My step son is one of my dependents on my benefits at work. In addition to medical and dental, I pay for life insurance for my dependents. I also pay for accidental death and dismemberment.

My question is this: Should I submit a claim under the accidental death policy in addition to the standard life insurance policy I have for him? I am not sure if a homicide can be classified as an accident. I don't want to submit an incorrect or inappropriate claim.

My thanks to you in advance for your replies.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

moburkes

There is no harm. I didn't realize that employers offer AD&D to family members, but, the worst the insurance company can do is say no, right?

Sorry about your loss.

Antigone*

There is no harm. I didn't realize that employers offer AD&D to family members, but, the worst the insurance company can do is say no, right?

Sorry about your loss.
Thank you for the condolences Moburkes.

I am fortunate to work for a great company and the benefits are generous.

I will complete my claim form and attach all the documents this weekend. You are right, the worst they can say is no.

CourtClerk

Group policies generally offer more comprehensive policies on the employee and more basic policies on the rest of the family.
Ahhhhh...gotcha. So somewhere in the world, I'm more important. Gee Mo, you just made my night.

OP, how's your daughter doing?

Antigone*

Ahhhhh...gotcha. So somewhere in the world, I'm more important. Gee Mo, you just made my night.

OP, how's your daughter doing?
Things are very difficult with my daughter. She is in a vegitative state. She has had an infection in her brain fluid which has meant the removal of her VP Shunt for a time. After the infection was treated the shunt was placed back in.

We have discussed prognosis with her medical team and they are not hopeful for much more recovery. We have made some very difficult decisions with regard to her treatment; but we are peaceful in knowing that we've made decision that she would want us to make.

We have not decided to withdraw sustinance but we have decided that if she gets another infection or pnemonia that we will not treat with antibiotics but instead the medical team will make sure that she is comfortable and not in any pain.

We love her like Jesus and we hope that he carries her to him. Thank you Court Clerk and other members of this forum for all you prayers.

It seems funny to say but the little time I make daily for this forum provides me with a little escape and sometimes a smile or two.

take care, ana

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">