• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adopted Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Payne333

A woman had a stroke and was placed in a nursing home In Virginia. she has a daughter who she gave up to adoption as a baby. The woman’s family now consists of nieces. One has allowed the daughter who was adopted out to control her medical, etc in Nursing home - shutting other niece out of any decision to help. My question is Does the daughter who was adopted out at birth have any legal rights to control the woman’s medical health? She never visits and the niece who is allowing this are neglectful.

quincy

A woman had a stroke and was placed in a nursing home In Virginia. she has a daughter who she gave up to adoption as a baby. The woman’s family now consists of nieces. One has allowed the daughter who was adopted out to control her medical, etc in Nursing home - shutting other niece out of any decision to help. My question is Does the daughter who was adopted out at birth have any legal rights to control the woman’s medical health? She never visits and the niece who is allowing this are neglectful.
Possibly. You have not provided enough information to give you an answer other than that.

LdiJ

If the woman who had the stroke is not competent to manage her own care, then the person who would control that would be the person whom she gave Power of Attorney (POA) to before she became incompetent. If she did not give anyone a POA then her legal next of kin would be in control. The daughter who was adopted (if it was a true and legal adoption) is no longer legally related to the woman so she could not be her next of kin.

If there is no power of attorney and the relatives are not in agreement it could be taken to court and someone ask to be appointed as her guardian. The court would then appoint the person who seems to have the woman's best interests in mind.

Just Blue

Just a FYI as it is a pet peeve of mine:

The term is "placed for adoption"...not "adopted out" as that is an offensive way of putting it. The child is not a puppy ...and adopted out is what one does with a unwanted pet.

Foamback

Just a FYI as it is a pet peeve of mine:

The term is "placed for adoption"...not "adopted out" as that is an offensive way of putting it. The child is not a puppy ...and adopted out is what one does with a unwanted pet.
I’m adopted and it doesn’t bother me

Payne333

The woman in nursing home has not relinquished her power. No one has POA. Her daughter only came into her life as an adult. She has and was always at arms length. Her adoptive parents even warned her birth mother about her daughter. Her rather harsh behavior. Later on found out she is bipolar. Takes meds but still a harsh person. She befriended one of the nieces who never had a relationship with the woman in nursing home. So now the daughter in lives in a state far away. But tell the niece she’s in control. This niece is an harsh person as well. She blocks the rest family from medical information, etc. The rest of family don’t know what or how to be included in her care.

LdiJ

The woman in nursing home has not relinquished her power. No one has POA. Her daughter only came into her life as an adult. She has and was always at arms length. Her adoptive parents even warned her birth mother about her daughter. Her rather harsh behavior. Later on found out she is bipolar. Takes meds but still a harsh person. She befriended one of the nieces who never had a relationship with the woman in nursing home. So now the daughter in lives in a state far away. But tell the niece she’s in control. This niece is an harsh person as well. She blocks the rest family from medical information, etc. The rest of family don’t know what or how to be included in her care.
Somebody in the family needs to file to become the woman's guardian. Someone should also probably tell the niece that the bio daughter is not legally the daughter of the woman and cannot legally make any decisions. The niece could end up in a lot of legal trouble if she is facilitating the bio daughter making decisions. It also wouldn't hurt to let the nursing home know as well.

quincy

Who are you in relation to this family?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">