• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult Adoption-I live in TX, Step Dad and Mom live in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Newshoe4U

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am 36. My mother and step father have been married 20 years. My step father wants to legally adopt me so I can share the family last name. I live in Texas and my mom and step father live in NY. In which state does the adult adoption need to be filed? I have looked at Texas and NY laws and am unable to determine it. I also called a Texas free law clinic and they said they were unsure but thought it would have to be in NY. I then called a law clinic in NY and they thought it would have to be done in Texas. Can anyone help on this? Thank you!

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am 36. My mother and step father have been married 20 years. My step father wants to legally adopt me so I can share the family last name. I live in Texas and my mom and step father live in NY. In which state does the adult adoption need to be filed? I have looked at Texas and NY laws and am unable to determine it. I also called a Texas free law clinic and they said they were unsure but thought it would have to be in NY. I then called a law clinic in NY and they thought it would have to be done in Texas. Can anyone help on this? Thank you!
It would be much simpler to just change your name, no?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like my birth certificate updated with my step dads information. So thats why we want to go to adult adoption route.
I thought you wanted to have his last name? What do you think having his name on your birth certificate will accomplish. Please understand that you don't HAVE to have a reason beyond "because I'd like it to be there for personal reasons", but you also don't need it there for any particular reason.

Newshoe4U

I thought you wanted to have his last name? What do you think having his name on your birth certificate will accomplish. Please understand that you don't HAVE to have a reason beyond "because I'd like it to be there for personal reasons", but you also don't need it there for any particular reason.
I do want his last name and his name on my birth certificate. Kind of a dig at my biological father to be honest. Just trying to figure out if anyone knows what state we actually have to do it in?

Zigner

It looks like it can't be done in Texas because the petitioner (your stepparent) doesn't reside in Texas. I would start by having your step-dad contact an adoption attorney in New York.

Best of luck to you :)

LdiJ

I do want his last name and his name on my birth certificate. Kind of a dig at my biological father to be honest. Just trying to figure out if anyone knows what state we actually have to do it in?
You should be aware that it highly probable that it would have to be a single parent adoption, which means that your mother would no longer be your mother either, legally. Make sure you thoroughly discuss that with the adoption attorney before you go forward with anything.

Zigner

You should be aware that it highly probable that it would have to be a single parent adoption, which means that your mother would no longer be your mother either, legally. Make sure you thoroughly discuss that with the adoption attorney before you go forward with anything.
In New York, if the adopting adult is married, then both must adopt the child. In this case, his mom is already married to the step-dad. They will want the assistance of an attorney, but mom is still going to be mom :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">