• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult step parent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My adult daughter would like my husband to adopt her (Michigan). I have a MetLife legal plan but cannot find an attorney in my area to help. How could we go about this without a lawyer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just did a web search for adult adoption in Michigan and came up with several results. Did you try that first?

EDIT: To be clear, you are looking for an "adult adoption", not (necessarily) a "stepparent adoption".

adjusterjack

I haven't found any pre-printed forms specifically for adopting an adult. See for yourself.

Adoption Forms (michigan.gov)

But I did find this set of instructions from a Detroit court.

JEROME C (3rdcc.org)

If you are in Detroit, go visit that court and ask for a petition form for adopting an adult.

If you aren't in Wayne County go visit your own court and see what forms are available.

I also found that Adoption Option place. Couldn't hurt check them out.

zddoodah

I have a MetLife legal plan but cannot find an attorney in my area to help.
I assume you meant that you can't find a lawyer in your area who will accept the legal plan. Have you suggested to your daughter that she save up the money to pay an attorney? Out of curiosity, why does your daughter want this, and what does her father have to say about it? Also, have you considered looking outside your "area"?

How could we go about this without a lawyer?
You (i.e., the three of you) can try to educate yourselves about the applicable substantive and procedural law. For example, I found this with a simple google search for "adult adoption michigan" (note that, while the substantive law will be the same everywhere in the state, the specific procedures may vary from county to county). If you were asking for some sort of step-by-step "how to" guide, that's not something you can get on an internet message board.

I assume you meant that you can't find a lawyer in your area who will accept the legal plan. Have you suggested to your daughter that she save up the money to pay an attorney? Out of curiosity, why does your daughter want this, and what does her father have to say about it? Also, have you considered looking outside your "area"?

You (i.e., the three of you) can try to educate yourselves about the applicable substantive and procedural law. For example, I found this with a simple google search for "adult adoption michigan" (note that, while the substantive law will be the same everywhere in the state, the specific procedures may vary from county to county). If you were asking for some sort of step-by-step "how to" guide, that's not something you can get on an internet message board.
I was just hoping for a push in the right direction from someone with experience.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was just hoping for a push in the right direction from someone with experience.
I am not aware of any poster on this forum who has done a step-parent or adult adoption in Michigan. Your best bet would be to review the information that was shared with you in the above links.

In what county are you located, armouredone? Many county courts in Michigan actually provide step-by-step instructions for those who wish to handle an adult adoption on their own.
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would this be circuit, district, or probate court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">