• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advantages/disadvantages of hiring "Hours and Materials" laborers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex23

California

I own my own home in California and I have some household repairs to do when it dries out. I'm not re-doing my whole house and I have had contractors refer me to T&M laborers for me to hire to help me with my project. One of them even had a business card with a contractor's license, but he told me "if I'm not working for this company then I'm not working under this license."

I understand that there are risks but some of my projects are not major and I just need extra help because I don't have the tools, hands, contacts, nor experience.

I am starting to understand that these guys are the laborers that the contractors hire for their jobs. If I hire them directly I save a bit of money off of the contractor's fee.

If I hire someone for T&M I want to know what the laws are regarding my liabilities as a homeowner. I don't want Jorge to hurt his back and sue me for my house.

One of them even told me that he "guarantees his work". Should I believe him?:rolleyes:

justalayman

I don't want Jorge to hurt his back and sue me for my house.
then contract a company to do the work. A company with the proper licenses and insurance, both liability and workers comp.

If you hire Jorge on an hourly basis, you are his employer and are bound by the same laws concerning liability as any other employer.

One of them even told me that he "guarantees his work". Should I believe him?
A guarantee without clarification of just what is being guaranteed is meaningless. He may guarantee the work but guaranteed in what way? You find it acceptable; it meets required codes; it will be an example of exorbitant overcharging? Just what would he be guaranteeing?

Then, a guarantee is meaningless if he disappears. When you hire a contractor, you need to be sure he is bonded and improper or unfinished work allows you to make a claim on his bond.

Cedrus

There are businesses in CA that have laborers/skilled workers for hire. They provide them with liability insurance, worker's comp. and other legal stuff.

You hire them thru this business at an hourly rate. They will have documentation with them.

Guess you could work with them to find out what materials are needed and you or worker could pick them up and deliver on site.

You should talk to your HOwners insurance agent for "guest worker" wording.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">