• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice on Step-parental Adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mandy2278

I divorced my ex-husband when the baby was only 3 months old. I am now married to a great new wonderful man. He would like to adopt the baby now ( he's almost 3yrs old now) . The problem is that my ex hasnt seen him in a yr and a half. No child support, and no interest since his 4th child.
The man im with now has been "daddy" to this child.Been there through thick and thin.!!!!!
I was just wondering if I offered my ex the CHOICE of either: to pay me a check in full amnt for back child support, or he can sign adoption papers! Would that be legal. Because I know he cannot hand over a check for thousands of $$ that he hasn't paid in child support.
Please help shed some lioght for me. thanks

LegalBeagle

Mandy2278 said:
I divorced my ex-husband when the baby was only 3 months old. I am now married to a great new wonderful man. He would like to adopt the baby now ( he's almost 3yrs old now) . The problem is that my ex hasnt seen him in a yr and a half. No child support, and no interest since his 4th child.
The man im with now has been "daddy" to this child.Been there through thick and thin.!!!!!
I was just wondering if I offered my ex the CHOICE of either: to pay me a check in full amnt for back child support, or he can sign adoption papers! Would that be legal. Because I know he cannot hand over a check for thousands of $$ that he hasn't paid in child support.
Please help shed some lioght for me. thanks
Is the CS court ordered ??

The shortness of the time makes the decision difficult.. Also the old saying about not rocking the boat. You may find that the thought of adoption causes him to ask for visitation and that would be bad considering the details. He would not be ordered to pay a lump sum in CS, only for the monthly amount to be increased to pay the arrears.

*MY* opinion would be to leave things as they are for now and wait until he rears his ugly head. THEN stick him with the CS or adoption. While he is nowhere to be seen and not bothering you, let the CS arrears pile up and ignore it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">