• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after divorce problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


brian beard

What is the name of your state? indiana
my problem is this. after the divorce the ex wife got the vehicle that she wanted so bad and now doesnt want to pay for it and it is in both od our names. i talked to the finance company and they stated that they were going to repo her vehicle and that my name was still on it. in our divorce decree it states that the parties shall make reasonable attempts at refinancing and that with reference to the vehicle that i would not be responsible for the debt on the truck or would be relieved of all responsibilities of the debts thereof. my regular attorney is currently sending her a letter thru her attorney and then the next step is whats called a citation. i obviously cant pay for a 2nd vehicle when i work 2 jobs and pay 800.00 per month in child support. my attorney wants 375.00 in fees to file a citation and my question is this. what happens if a citation is issued and her debt? i dont know anything about the citation process and i want to make sure im not going to end up responsible for the debt when it clearly states that she is in the decree, will they garnish her wages to pay for it? she works full-time and has minimal bills seeing as i got stuck with most. thanks brian. oh yeah she says she tried to get it refinanced and states that she cannot.
Last edited:


Senior Member
If the lender does reposess the vehicle, they will then come after you for payment (since your name is still on the obligation). After you pay the note, your only real options are to file a motion of contempt with the original court (and hopefully get a money judgment against her) or you could file a new lawsuit and presumably get a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential