• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After entering the u.s on a k3 visa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voyweiser

What is the name of your state?TX

I just entered the u.s with my husband on a K3 visa and while in houston i had to give them a huge folder full of documents and now I am in the u.s and I don't know wat to do next. I would like to work and become a citizen or permanent resident and I would like to know how to get my green card and my social security cared or watever forms that i need to do. Please help thanks :D

evcalyptos

voyweiser said:
What is the name of your state?TX

I just entered the u.s with my husband on a K3 visa and while in houston i had to give them a huge folder full of documents and now I am in the u.s and I don't know wat to do next. I would like to work and become a citizen or permanent resident and I would like to know how to get my green card and my social security cared or watever forms that i need to do. Please help thanks :D
You have 2 routes to Permenent Residency via your K-3 entry:

1) File immediately for AOS/Adjustment of Status. Wait however long your local office is taking to process such cases (up to 3 years).

2) Wait for your I-130 to approve and work its way through the NVC. From there, your case is sent to the Consulate in the country where you married and you apply for an Immigrant Visa. This becomes a Green Card when you return to the US.

You can't get a Social Security card until you apply for and receive an EAD I-765. K-3s often find they must file for work authorization (without the AOS) if they want to have any real legal status in the US, for banking, driving license etc. You will definitely need an Employment Authorization Document/EAD if you want to work.

You can apply for citizenship aprox 3 years after you actually get your Green Card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">