• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My brother-in-law is 55 and has worked as a machinist for a company for over 15 years. He has not had a raise in 5 years and just recently discovered a younger person who has worked there for 2 years recently got a raise and is now making $2.00 more an hour than my brother-in-law. The company has a profit sharing retirement package. When my brother-in-law asked for a raise he was told that he would be getting the big bucks when he retired (not for at least 5 years down the road) and his request was turned down. The younger guy does the same job as my brother-in-law with no additonal duties or responsibilities. My brother-in-law has never been counseled on his job performance. The company does not have an appraisal system either and as far as he knows, his work performance is satisfactory or better. Additionally, the company has a policy that employees that quit can not receive the profit-sharing for at least 1 year or longer later. Does my brother-in-law have any legal recourse in this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential