• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alcohol-based cologne / rubbing alcohol in car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpayne

Where did you get that?
Just wondering. When you said "Bottom line, after looking at those I cannot imagine most police officers recognizing any of those ingredients as alcohol either." it sounded like you were offering your insight as a cop. I guess I was mistaken.

quincy

Just wondering. When you said "Bottom line, after looking at those I cannot imagine most police officers recognizing any of those ingredients as alcohol either." it sounded like you were offering your insight as a cop. I guess I was mistaken.
Rubbing alcohol and cologne can be transported in a car.

A problem with transporting these in your car potentially could arise if you are pulled over by the police and you are suspected of being drunk or impaired.

Don't get pulled over by the police and you should be fine. :)

mjpayne

Rubbing alcohol and cologne can be transported in a car.

A problem with transporting these in your car potentially could arise if you are pulled over by the police and you are suspected of being drunk or impaired.

Don't get pulled over by the police and you should be fine. :)
Ah, but who can, with 100% certainty, avoid being pulled over by the police? How many life-long drivers out there that have never been pulled over? I've never heard of one. I suspect it's very rare.

quincy

Ah, but who can, with 100% certainty, avoid being pulled over by the police? How many life-long drivers out there that have never been pulled over? I've never heard of one. I suspect it's very rare.
If you think the odds are good you will be pulled over by the police, I suggest you either keep rubbing alcohol out of your car or keep it locked in your trunk.

FlyingRon

Things that aren't ETHANOL aren't alcohol by most state standards. Even things that ARE ethanol that are denatured or rendered presumably undrinkable (cooking sherry, etc...) aren't alcohol under the standards.

It's not illegal to TRANSPORT alcohol (unless something else is going on). It is illegal in most places to transport opened/unsealed containers of drinkable alcohol in the passenger areas.

justalayman

Cooking sherry is rendered undrinkable? I was taught to never cook with a wine you wouldn’t drink. I would,think an extension of that wisdom would be to never cook with a wine you couldn’t drink

xylene

Cooking wines are considered denatured because of their salt content, and are not beverage alcohol.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You should never have an alcohol-based mouthwash in your car. Using an alcohol based mouthwash shortly before a breathalyzer can result in a legally drunk BAC, even if you haven't been drinking.

Most colognes just mask mixes with the smell of sweat, it does not effectively mask it.

I don't think alcohol swabs in the car would be a problem, though, and surely you have some of those in your car's first aid kit.

quincy

I think mjpayne's questions on possession of rubbing alcohol, possession of hypodermic syringes and fear of being ticketed for crossing double yellow lines, when taken together, indicate mjpayne could have a personal concern with illegal drug use - and getting caught.

If so, having a criminal defense attorney on speed dial might be smart.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? NJ

I realize this may sound paranoid, but could I be found guilty of having an open container of alcohol if I have in my car rubbing alcohol and / or alcohol-based cologne?

Before anyone asks, no, I'm not drinking it!
That you would feel the need to ask such a silly question disqualifies you from advising others on their REAL legal issues.

quincy

That you would feel the need to ask such a silly question disqualifies you from advising others on their REAL legal issues.
I don't think the question itself is necessarily silly.

I am not sure any question asked is really silly if the one asking it is sincerely curious and doesn't know the answer.

I do think it is generally a waste of time to address hypotheticals on this forum. They can spin off into too many different directions. And this forum is not designed as a debate forum (despite some posters seemingly desperate desire to make it one). :)

mjpayne

I don't think the question itself is necessarily silly.

I am not sure any question asked is really silly if the one asking it is sincerely curious and doesn't know the answer.

I do think it is generally a waste of time to address hypotheticals on this forum. They can spin off into too many different directions. And this forum is not designed as a debate forum (despite some posters seemingly desperate desire to make it one). :)
Pretty much all of my questions are a result of genuine personal interest by me and a result of prior research leading to either no information or conflicting information. I ask hypotheticals because, as I said before, by the time you are arrested/ticketed, it is too late to learn.

quincy

Pretty much all of my questions are a result of genuine personal interest by me and a result of prior research leading to either no information or conflicting information. I ask hypotheticals because, as I said before, by the time you are arrested/ticketed, it is too late to learn.
We tend not to entertain hypotheticals on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">