• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alienation of Affection in Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Andy1946

Now that we have all our pronouns in order, my basic question that I have been unable to find a suitable answer for is... how long do I have, as the abandoned husband, to sue my wife's amorous employer for actively pursuing her, taking her places, spending a lot of money on her, etc., and thereby causing her to leave me, her husband, for him, her employer and lover and most likely very soon to be new husband... 2 years ago?

Silverplum

Now that we have all our pronouns in order, my basic question that I have been unable to find a suitable answer for is... how long do I have, as the abandoned husband, to sue my wife's amorous employer for actively pursuing her, taking her places, spending a lot of money on her, etc., and thereby causing her to leave me, her husband, for him, her employer and lover and most likely very soon to be new husband... 2 years ago?
Two years: http://law.justia.com/codes/hawaii/2012/title-36/chapter-657/section-657-7

Proserpina

It's treated the same way as personal injury suits. Here's what the mod of another forum (where a number of us also post) noted:

Hawaii Statutes § 657-7 - Damage to persons or property.

Actions for the recovery of compensation for damage or injury to persons or property shall be instituted within two years after the cause of action accrued, and not after, except as provided in section 657-13.
657-13 doesn't apply here.

But I think there's something far more important that you need to consider.

If this goes to trial, every little bit of personal information will be brought up for the whole world to see. And even if you were to win...what do you think is going to happen? She's going to marry him anyway, and it's incredibly unlikely that you'd get a money judgment you could actually collect. I just see this hurting you far more than hurting her, and you don't need any more pain.

My advice? Let it go. Otherwise it's going to simmer and fester and you're going to be even more miserable.

Andy1946

Two years: http://law.justia.com/codes/hawaii/2012/title-36/chapter-657/section-657-7
Thank you Silverplum. This is what I've been searching for... but alas... it's as clear as legal mud. I definitely need to find the money to consult a local family attorney that has experience in this matter.

And... thank you all also for your assistance :)

Ladyback1

OH Hon!

She left you because she wanted to. And she may very well leave this guy if someone else comes along that tickles her fancy more.

Place blame where blame is due: Your soon to be Ex wife CHOSE to allow him to pursue her. Your soon to be Ex was free at every opportunity to say "I'm sorry, but I'm married and I love my husband very much. Please leave me alone."

Now, I'm not giving the guy a free pass. However, if your soon to be Ex had just once told him "NO, I'm married and I love my husband", then you most likely wouldn't be in the situation you are in. She CHOSE to walk away from the marriage (for whatever reason).

Put on your big boy panties and just move on! Marriage is over. Don't drag this out any longer than you already have!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, you are correct. I suspect Ohiogal skimmed your post or mistyped.

ETA: Or as Geekess pointed out, Ohiogal couldn't tell who was who from the post. ;)
When I read this: separation he's bought her a $7,000 car

I thought the HE was the husband and HER was the mistress. My mistake. Yes you have to sue the interloper (nonspouse) to the marriage.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Good golly no you guys - it was really ambiguous! The only reason I realized the dots weren't connecting properly was because I did a post hx check.

Don't be so hard on yourselves!

Now, OP. This is one, as was previously noted, where you need at least an initial consultation with an attorney.
I didn't posting history on this one. Which may have explained things. I went with only THIS post. Which resulted in my confusion of who was who.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">