• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Already proven not the father in 1993...long story...help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? NJ

Back in 1993 after going back and forth witha woman who claimed I father her daughter I was finally proven not to be the father with a state handled paternity test. The case was dismissed by the judge and I was told I could never be brought back to court on this matter. Well, ten years later my employer received a notic requesting information on me for the purpose of collecting child support. I contacted the agency right away, explained the situation and even faxed the paternity results to them. After some time I heard that my old employer was also getting these notices so I called again.....the social worker informed me that she had just notified the grandmother of the child (who had just taken custody of the child in June that is why all of this came about) and apparently she was not very happy about the news of my not being the father and she now wants to contest the results. In addition to all of this I now have to feel badly that this poor girls has probably been told terrible things about me and she probably feels abandoned....I don't like to feel that someone wrongfully feels this way about me. Also, I now find that my name may be on the birth certificate....so I have 4 questions......should I take the DNA test over again for the sake of this child?.... how do I find out if I am on the birth certificate if I don't know what town she was born in (she was born in NY)?.....can this case be reopened after all of these years with a legal paternity test?.......and at what point does this become harrasment??
Please help me as I really want to help this poor girl at least find some closure in this matter as I know since her mother never told the grandmother that I wasn't the father I'm sure she never told the child either...please advise!!!:(


Senior Member
It is not your fault that the mother did not want to name, for whatever reason, the biofather of this child. I would write to the court that handled the case, obtain and retain a copy of the dismissal and provide a copy to the agency handling the Grandmother's case. Ask that a copy be forwarded to the Grandmother. You should not (until and unless ordered by the court) be required to do and pay for ANOTHER DNA test. Your DNA has not changed, I am certain. IF another DNA is requested by the court, then get a lawyer.

My guess is that the father was a person she did not want in her child's life, so gave up pursuing CS from him when you didn't merely accept her word that you were the father and go along with getting assigned CS responsibilty for his kid.

Grandma needs to know you were proven not to be the father a very long time ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential