• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Altering a prescription & identify theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

The police asked if the prescription was for me, and I said no.

Hopefully I can get a public defender.
Yet you said it was in your name

It’s obvious you knew what you were doing. Your name on a scrip from a doctor you didn’t know. Obviously it couldn’t have been written to you by the doctor since you had never been to that doctor.

There is no way to spin this that exonerates you. There is no way to spin this to show you weren’t fully aware of the crime you were committing.

Since Quincy has provided the statement there is mandatory jail time for the crime charged, I suggest you get things in order since I see no way you won’t be incarcerated for at least the minimum sentence.

justalayman

Well, there are ways he can avoid jail, but it's going to take an attorney to steer him in the right direction.
Quincy stated there is a mandatory jail sentence for forging or altering a prescription. It would appear op isn’t willing to give up friend (if there actually is a friend to give up) so unless op changes their mind, that one is out. Being found not guilty is another way but given the statements so far, I don’t see that as a possibility.

About the only thing I can see is a plea bargain to a different charge. That’s always a possibility in any situation and yes, that will definitely require the aid of an attorney.

FlyingRon

There are alternatives to being prosecuted for the felony, being convicted, and getting the default sentence.

California has alternatives. There's the Prop 36/Drug Court and also PC1000.

quincy

If magus is to escape mandatory jail time, having an attorney's assistance also seems mandatory.

magus would be smart to stop talking about what s/he did as the different stories being told are not at all helpful. Complete honesty will be important for magus when speaking to the attorney.

quincy

Both of those suggestions appear to involve drug possession charges. This has nothing to do with drug possession.
I agree. Altering a prescription and identity theft are not drug crimes.

No drugs were actually purchased.

Although there is always a chance that a plea agreement can be worked out that reduces a charge, and there is always a chance that jail time can be avoided, I do not see drug court as a realistic option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">