• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I likely to be fired for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I'm still looking for where I said they CANNOT be covered.

I said that in certain conditions, ADA protection does not apply. And you know damned well what I'm trying to say, Katy, even if you are playing semantics games.

Katy W.

CBG, I am not playing games. Your post stated that " CURRENT use of either alcohol or drugs is NOT protected under the ADA." That isn't true because current alcohol use, in and of itself, does not lose an alcoholic ADA coverage (see the citation.) This is an important point and makes a big difference for the billion employed alcoholics in this country.

We are talking about who is covered by the ADA. Of course an employer can discipline for cause if the alcohol makes an alcoholic dysfunctional at work, no one is saying any different. Job performance is really not being discussed on this thread at all, except for you and Beth.

Whether or not you automatically lose cover may at times be situation specific, but the law is:

addict - using illegal drugs at work on or off the clock - lose ADA

alcoholic - Uses alcohol at work - no ADA

alcoholic - uses alcohol at home/not at work - you do NOT automatically lose ADA coverage.

Coverage only means you are covered by the law. Not that you have a guaranteed job.

If I have to write another word about this I'm going to have to go get that bottle out of my co-worker's drawer....

A

absconder

Katy Im not sure what answer your looking for in your OP. I thought you needed time to attend your recovery program plus go to work. Oh well!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">