• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still considered exempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Yes I did originally ask about the $455 rate for exempt status but I am not clear if the FLSA considered Outside Sales as being 100% exempt from the $7.25 minimum wage rate. If I understand it correctly, and I'm hoping I am not correct, you could work for a 100% commission only job and receive ZERO money every week and it would be totally legal under FLSA, unless a State regulation overrides it.
Not if you are an actual employee of a company. If you are an independent sales rep, that is another story.

leelauer

Not if you are an actual employee of a company. If you are an independent sales rep, that is another story.
" Section 13(a)(1) of the FLSA provides an exemption from both minimum wage and overtime pay for employees employed as bona fide executive, administrative, professional and outside sales employees."

That to me doesn't provide a distinction between independent rep and employee. I am an employee though. It goes on to state that Outside sales are also exempt from the $455/week minimum to still be considered exempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">