• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I still in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Augy

believe me....we have better things to do than hunt you down (as much fun as that might be :p)....you owe fees. and will owe that whether we catch you or not.

if you get pulled over, or arrested for any reason.....then they can hold you. until you pay your fines.

but we won't actively hunt for you.
Oh, okay. So if I pay the fine, I'll be done with it? That's easy.

LdiJ

Oh, okay. So if I pay the fine, I'll be done with it? That's easy.
Its hopefully going to be that simple, but its not guaranteed. I would recommend having a CA attorney handle it for you while you remain outside of CA.

Eekamouse

It's a long shot but also run your name thru here:

http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/namesearch

Augy

It's a long shot but also run your name thru here:

http://courtindex.sdcourt.ca.gov/CISPublic/namesearch
Thanks everyone for all your input. I followed Isis1's advice and called the courthouse. The files only go back to 1989. They referred me to the Warrant Bank and I called them. And **************.....
There is no record of a warrant out on me, so I think I'm in the clear. :) [Doin' the happy dance!]

Mass_Shyster

I think I'm in the clear.
You probably are, but......

I've got a client who was arrested and convicted in the 1980s. He missed his last monthly probation fee and left the state. Many years went by with no problems, but then a few years he was stopped by the police 1000 miles away for a broken tail light. They held him from Saturday until Tuesday when the judge released him because nobody came from the other jurisdiction to collect him. The same thing happened a few years later.

If the court is processing old records, it may come back to bite you.

In my client's case, the court simply dismissed the charge and recalled the warrant.

Augy

You probably are, but......

I've got a client who was arrested and convicted in the 1980s. He missed his last monthly probation fee and left the state. Many years went by with no problems, but then a few years he was stopped by the police 1000 miles away for a broken tail light. They held him from Saturday until Tuesday when the judge released him because nobody came from the other jurisdiction to collect him. The same thing happened a few years later.

If the court is processing old records, it may come back to bite you.

In my client's case, the court simply dismissed the charge and recalled the warrant.
That sucks for your client. Glad it was a happy ending.
I'm counting on the fact that they don't have records readily available prior to 1989. Everything is on microfiche. Since there was no adjudication or conviction, I think I'm okay . . . but like you said, it could always come and bite me later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">