• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amazon vendor sells electronics and ships sunglasses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I ordered a car radio through Amazon. The going price for this item is between $200 and $250. One seller had it listed for $21.99, so I placed the order. Seller had no feedback and was shown as being a new vendor.

I placed the order on April 14. On April 15, the seller removed all items from his/her store. On April 20, I received a notification that the item was shipped from China.

Since that time, numerous people have reported receiving dollar-store sunglasses from this vendor when some electronic item was purchased.

The USPS tracking site says to expect delivery on Monday. I suspect I'll receive a pair of sunglasses.

I know that I'm protected my the Amazon guarantee, and if that fails, my credit card should also protect me. Worst case I'm out $20.

My question is "Is this person getting away with something?" How does this scam work? Did Amazon already give the scammer my $20? Did he collect a few hundred $20 deposits, and will now vanish with his $2000? Is he hoping that some percentage of the "victims" won't bother complaining?

I assume that Amazon protects themselves from this type of scammer, so I'm just wondering what's going on.

Anyone have any guesses?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

I ordered a car radio through Amazon. The going price for this item is between $200 and $250. One seller had it listed for $21.99, so I placed the order. Seller had no feedback and was shown as being a new vendor.

I placed the order on April 14. On April 15, the seller removed all items from his/her store. On April 20, I received a notification that the item was shipped from China.

Since that time, numerous people have reported receiving dollar-store sunglasses from this vendor when some electronic item was purchased.

The USPS tracking site says to expect delivery on Monday. I suspect I'll receive a pair of sunglasses.

I know that I'm protected my the Amazon guarantee, and if that fails, my credit card should also protect me. Worst case I'm out $20.

My question is "Is this person getting away with something?" How does this scam work? Did Amazon already give the scammer my $20? Did he collect a few hundred $20 deposits, and will now vanish with his $2000? Is he hoping that some percentage of the "victims" won't bother complaining?

I assume that Amazon protects themselves from this type of scammer, so I'm just wondering what's going on.

Anyone have any guesses?
Sorry. I don't really know how Amazon works their payments but I wanted to say that it sounds very much like what was being sold to you was counterfeit goods (or a scam). A $200 item for $20 should have been a red flag.

At any rate, the seller is unlikely to be found (except perhaps on other sites under different names) so with luck your $20 and your account information has been protected in another way.

Mass_Shyster

Sorry. I don't really know how Amazon works their payments but I wanted to say that it sounds very much like what was being sold to you was counterfeit goods (or a scam). A $200 item for $20 should have been a red flag.

At any rate, the seller is unlikely to be found (except perhaps on other sites under different names) so with luck your $20 and your account information has been protected in another way.
Thanks for the reply. After a little more research, it appears that there is a new rash of scammers using amazon. Unfortunately, amazon turns out to be the victim. From what I've read, amazon will release funds to a seller two weeks after the item is shipped. My item showed as having shipped on 4/20, so the two week window closes on 5/4. It's supposed to arrive on 5/3.

The $200 item for $20 was a "yuge" red flag. I just ordered it to see what would happen. This is my first run-in with an amazon scammer. I thought amazon weeded them out. I was hoping that they would offer me the item for a reduced price, or if they were dumb enough, ship the item and swallow their loss.

In any event, I haven't been directly harmed, but since amazon may face some exposure, their prices will have to increase to cover the losses. Probably not a noticeable amount, but I don't like to see anyone caught by a scammer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">