• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amount left from support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How is it an unfair system? This isn't a matter of being judgmental. but there are apparently three children that need to be supported. That need to eat. Be clothed. Housed. Yes, he holds some responsibility for the situation. Sorry. And yes, I have (adult) children. From a young age, they were made aware that creating children would have serious consequences. A lack of ability to gain higher education, a necessity to work to support said kids, to not have discretionary funds, etc. It's how life works.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think anyone is saying that the OP shouldn't pay for his kids...

The point is that there are laws on the maximum amount that is allowed to be withheld from a paycheck. The OP still owes the money.

ETA: Oh, I get it - the only one who thinks it's not fair is the OP.

Zigner

OP has no standing.
I would have to agree with you. The OP should point the employer to MCL 552-608 and MCL 552-611a during his discussions with them: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yp4loz0chjq3hdufa2aso1hu))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-552-608 and http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yp4loz0chjq3hdufa2aso1hu))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-552-611a

The following FAQ for employers in Michigan may also be helpful: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdhhs/DHS-Pub-96_506091_7.pdf

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The OP is in no position to do anything here - HE is not the one paying child support. His son has to get off his derriere and take action.

The son should start off by trying to at least consult with a family law attorney to see what's what. All the OP is doing is providing second hand information which may not be entirely accurate.

Zigner

Oh, I get it. In any case, the OP's son doesn't have standing to take the employer to court over this matter either. Pursuing contempt charges for violations of the law is the purview of the state.

justalayman

He has a right to complain about the employer violating both state and federal law as far as the deduction from his income.
You’re missing entirelt my point. The guy has 4 children with three different women. He needs to either stop complaining about the cost of raising children or stop having children he can’t afford to raise.

I was speaking to the irresponsibility of the guy and not the withholding issue since op seemed to be offended when a poster suggested the father find a means to increase his income so he isn’t so fisncisllly strapped.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
He works very long hours tries for overtime he is a single dad with partial custody of his children can’t get a second job or wouldn’t be able to have his children don’t be so quick to judge unless you are in that persons shoes you have no idea the situation frustrating that people have such prejudice in such situations and have no compassion or understanding it is what’s wrong with this world sad

Problem is no one will take on such a case against friend of the court no lawyer will touch it if he could afford one to begin with can’t obviously since the court has taken all his money where can people get help against an unfair system they make sure you can’t fight them even though they are breaking the law by taking more than the law allows he is struggling so hard good kid hard worker great dad but the court is squashing all hope and chances for him and his children to be together isn’t that what family court should be striving for the kids isn’t that what this is about losing their dad because of money hardly fair for the children both parents needed to raise them court not letting that happen by shorting one parent to support the other so only one benefits how is that going to help the children who spend time with both parents something is so very wrong here I am at a loss and just very sad about how hard it is to get help
Perhaps you should teach him about how babies are made, and about contraception. Seriously - I get that he has a right to complain if the wrong amounts are being withheld, but other than that? Tell him to stop making babies he can't afford to support. Or, more bluntly, "Don't breed what you can't feed".

PayrollHRGuy

You’re missing entirelt my point. The guy has 4 children with three different women. He needs to either stop complaining about the cost of raising children or stop having children he can’t afford to raise.

I was speaking to the irresponsibility of the guy and not the withholding issue since op seemed to be offended when a poster suggested the father find a means to increase his income so he isn’t so fisncisllly strapped.
I don't disagree and I don't think anyone else her does either that the guy should pay for the kids that he has sired. That doesn't change that the employer is violating state and federal law if they are deducting too much from his check and if they are he should take it up first with his employer and if that doesn't fix the problem then he should take it up with the state.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I would have to agree with you. The OP should point the employer to MCL 552-608 and MCL 552-611a during his discussions with them: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yp4loz0chjq3hdufa2aso1hu))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-552-608 and http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(yp4loz0chjq3hdufa2aso1hu))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-552-611a

The following FAQ for employers in Michigan may also be helpful: https://www.michigan.gov/documents/mdhhs/DHS-Pub-96_506091_7.pdf
Zig.... OP isn't the one being garnished!

Just Blue

Perhaps you should teach him about how babies are made, and about contraception. Seriously - I get that he has a right to complain if the wrong amounts are being withheld, but other than that? Tell him to stop making babies he can't afford to support. Or, more bluntly, "Don't breed what you can't feed".
My thought exactly!! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">