• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

An update and a big thank you!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Speaking just as a layperson, another mom, what helps ME to prepare for court (with or without an attorney) is to write. Write up my concerns and observations. In there it will come out the role the counselor has played in this saga. Then you can highlight the areas' she has spoken to you, her assessments, opinions, etc. in general, and regarding specific informations.

I have fantasized about this kind of thing (may be I have to do the same thing here so I am curious about professional answers you get as well);
I imagine myself asking therapist specific questions...."did you say **************.." when childs name reported **************." A few hot topics to show that she has had consistant concerns about the child....and what exactly the concerns are.

Then I would ask what her professional opinion is regarding what she sees as creating better stability and well being and health for the child.

I think writting is a great solution. There are A LOT of concerns. When I took him to see the counselor a couple days ago she called me back in the room and said straight out, "He is being abused." Now, they don't beat him or anything, but they do belitle him, rip his clothes off of him, fight (throwing, breaking things, screaming) and step mom smacks him in the back of the head frequently and has slapped him across the face twice. Dad even admitted to the magistrate that he slashed the tires on his own van to keep his wife from leaving, and that our son was standing right beside him. These are just a few of our concerns. When I get nervous, I tend to forget things, so writting it all down will help with that too.

MichaCA

OK, playing the devils advocate....I am presuming from this last post the counselor did NOT report the information to CPS? (or she would have told you) I think she should. Simply as part of due diligence. I can only hear cps now..."this does not rise to the level of our definition of child abuse", I know that one well. However, if counselor is outright saying "he is being abused", then I think she should be calling and attempting. Thats just my opinion, seniors may say differently...however the "what if..."comes up for me...what if she gets countered in court with "well why didn't you call cps if you say there is child abuse". My part in this conversation may be a mute point....but for your help, write down, document everything the counselor says, dates, etc. Thats a statement right there you can come back and ask her in court, "on such and such date, did you not state that there is child abuse happening?", and then ask her to describe what she has observed in her counseling with the child.

Sorry you and your child going through this, it absolutely sucks. Micha

OK, playing the devils advocate....I am presuming from this last post the counselor did NOT report the information to CPS? (or she would have told you) I think she should. Simply as part of due diligence. I can only hear cps now..."this does not rise to the level of our definition of child abuse", I know that one well. However, if counselor is outright saying "he is being abused", then I think she should be calling and attempting. Thats just my opinion, seniors may say differently...however the "what if..."comes up for me...what if she gets countered in court with "well why didn't you call cps if you say there is child abuse". My part in this conversation may be a mute point....but for your help, write down, document everything the counselor says, dates, etc. Thats a statement right there you can come back and ask her in court, "on such and such date, did you not state that there is child abuse happening?", and then ask her to describe what she has observed in her counseling with the child.

Sorry you and your child going through this, it absolutely sucks. Micha

This is why I love his counselor. There have been soooooo many people (mostly dad's family) that have told me that they thought he was being abused, his counselor is the only one, (besides me) that will do anything about it. She did have me sign a release so that she could talk to CS. She is willing to do anything she can to protect him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">