• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anonymity and Probable Cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Actually, I know a number of people who give info on friends or family members that are doing things stupid like this. The motivations vary from vengeance and hatred, to care for the welfare of children in the home, and sometimes a benevolent desire the dealer/user clean up their act and get healthy. I get detailed tips regularly ... we can't always act on them, but they still come in.

I don't think the OP's story stinks ... it might be a set up as you say, but there are some reasons (that I will not go into here) why it just doesn't sound that way to me.

- Carl

firegal401

Would a picture with the letter make any difference? The guy doesn't know that I know about it so I could hang out with him for a while and get a picture. I could discreetly take a picture of the drugs, the garage and then a picture of the front of the house. Maybe that will give them a little extra motivation. It isn't a small amount and I think the picture would catch their attention. If I had to guess, I would guess that there is several pounds of it. That, and whatever is in the mason jar.

WOW!! you must be THE snitch from hell! It is you types of people that snitch on everyone that really needs a taste of your own medicine! Remind me to never trust or make freinds with you for any reason, otherwise you would probably plant stuff on me just to be able to snitch on me and BTW, im sure you already know what happens to snitches if you happen to be caught! Just leave the poor guy alone instead of playing undercover agent and doing something that you may later regret!

CageAngel

I couldn't agree with firegal401 more...you sound like a very vindictive person. Move on and find something better to do with your life...

karissa308

definitly has a funny smell to it.. so why dont you like someone had alreaday said just find some better people to associate with.. and stop with this kid..trust me he'll screw him self somewhere down the line and slip up if he really is a drug dealer have u ever thought he just smokes himself?? and if hes stupid enough to let someone sketchy like you back in his house he deserves it....I'd guess he's not worth you getting into something for now is he??but i dont know you dont seem to be the brightest crayon in the box.. are you that stupid to think about snitchin and then post it online every detail and your little plot .. not smart dude.lmao

Last edited:

CdwJava

Hmmm ... I know of some people that recently reported such a thing ... had they NOT reported it, there were two small children that may have been killed by the meth lab the parents had set up in a back room.

Sometimes these "snitches" save lives ... I know people that do it for vindictiveness, and others out of true concern for those involved. It is people who keep their heads in the sand and do nothing that allow others to suffer injury. I, for one, would rather know I attempted to make a difference rather than stood by in silence while someone else was harmed.

- Carl

CageAngel

Hmmm ... I know of some people that recently reported such a thing ... had they NOT reported it, there were two small children that may have been killed by the meth lab the parents had set up in a back room.

Sometimes these "snitches" save lives ... I know people that do it for vindictiveness, and others out of true concern for those involved. It is people who keep their heads in the sand and do nothing that allow others to suffer injury. I, for one, would rather know I attempted to make a difference rather than stood by in silence while someone else was harmed.

- Carl
I agree that people that "snitch" to save lives should be commended and rewarded for that matter....however...I don't think that is the case here. Just judging from the fact that this person is SOOOOO detailed, my opinion is that they would have mentioned the fact that they are considering being an informant to save someones life...or even just to help an innocent person...none of this was even remotely reflected in any of the previous posts.

Last edited:

CdwJava

I agree that people that "snitch" to save lives should be commended and rewarded for that matter....however...I don't think that is the case here. Just judging from the fact that this person is SOOOOO detailed, my opinion is that they would have mentioned the fact that they are considering being an informant to save someones life...or even just to help an innocent person...none of this was even remotely reflected in any of the previous posts.
Well, I won't be crying over the prospect of another doper getting in trouble ... not like he deserves any sympathy. No matter the motives of the person doing the telling, if it gets one more criminal off the street for a while, we're all better off.

- carl

firegal401

Well either way im just not too fond of snitches and im also not a cop-lover even though i am in no way any type of criminal. I do not even have a criminal record. Its just that this type of snitch is even going to the extent of pretending he is this guys best freind only to try to get more evidence just to snitch on him. I am sorry but i just do not consider that to be a friend. Friends just dont do that to other freinds. Also, he never mentioned why he was wanting to snitch in the first place other than seeing pot and some sort of substance in a bathroom cabinet. No children were mentioned as being involved and noone was ever mentioned of being hurt even though i do quite understand selling it to kids or whatnot WOULD be considered hurting someone but this was not mentioned at all. I am only looking at if this guy was to try these stunts with me. I have been snitched on before by these types only to try causing problems for me so i have been on the other end of snitching before.

Of course you dont mind the snitching CDW since you are a cop or at least im thinking you are. Cops dont mind snitches at all as it just makes thier jobs much easier. Less work but the same pay. This country is just getting more "policed" by the second and pretty soon citizens will not be able to walk down the street without being questioned for being suspicious and being ID'ed just to see if they have been arrested for anything or wanted for anything. I am not saying that REAL criminals that hurt people or whatnot should not face penalties but i AM saying that theres just no sense in how the cops are able to do the things they do (the unjust ways they try to irritate the average citizen) and get away with it.

Sorry to have drifted off subject there a bit.

CdwJava

In many ways using "snitches" is more work. If we rely on a "snitch" for a warrant or probable cause, there are a whole lot of hoops we have to jump through to even USE that info as probable cause for a search warrant or in prosecution. It is actually a LOT of work. It's easier to just use it as a tip to point us in the right direction and then work the matter from there. A knock and talk ... surveillance ... etc.

And, of course I like people who report criminal activity. Again, if people do not report crimes to the police, and they allow them to continue, then they get the kind of community they deserve and when the bad things come their way they should just keep quiet and remember that they contributed to the problem. The person reporting the offense may be a lousy friend, but in the end it is not "snitch's" actions that landed them in trouble, it is the actions of the person committing the crime that landed them in jail.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">