• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another W-4 Exempt question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PMSanchez

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I have some issues I have to take care of early Sept. in which my pay after taxes won't allow me to cover. So I was wondering if I claimed exempt for one pay period and fill out another W-4 afterwards going back to regular tax status but have them take a little more out for taxes throughout the rest of the year to cover what won't be taken out this pay period would there be any reprocussions? Is that illegal?

Snipes5

Yes, claiming exempt when you know you do in fact have tax liability is tax fraud.

You can, however, put in a really high number for "exemptions" and then change it later.

I suggest "married 9" As long as you don't owe more than $1000 at the end of the year, you will be okay to do that.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">