• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mblack

If they change their official records to state resign and not layoff then that is what happened, as far as any external inquiries are concerned. Can a company take back the layoff letter and "correct" the record to say resign. if there is no law against it then if they agree they can, no.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, no, that's not quite true. They can put anything they want in the record but that doesn't mean what they put in the record is what happened.

You have the answer. If you request that they change the record to say that you resigned rather than that you were laid off (which is not to your advantage, btw) if they choose to do so they may. The law will not require them to do so. You can ask a hundred times and that's still going to be the answer. IT IS UP TO THE EMPLOYER WHETHER TO DO SO OR NOT. The law is not going to force them to lie for you.

ecmst12

Why on earth would you ask them to do that? Doing so will disqualify you from unemployment benefits in a heartbeat, and make you look much more questionable to prospective employers (who is dumb enough to resign a job in this economy?), while a layoff will be pretty much universally seen as not your fault.

commentator

Excuse moi, but why would you want it to reflect that you resigned instead of being let go due to lack of work? This is certainly not a good thing in regard to unemployment insurance, where you must be let go "through no fault of your own."

If you want it to say that you resigned, then for unemployment purposes, it must say that you resigned for a good job related reason. You must prove that your reason for resigning was a good one, related not to your personal needs, but to the intolerable circumstances of your work// In other words, you were being abused, used, your paycheck was bouncing, you feared for your life, etc.

In applying for other employment, why would you think it sounded better that you just up and quit, rather than that due to economic circumstances which are very common in these times, the company was obliged to cut back and had to let you go?

mblack

In this circumstance resigned is appropriate for me than let go. I do not need unemployment, i have enough money and dont care to apply for it. The situation that led to the eventual separation is due to professional moral principles I was adhering to while others did not care for them.

commentator

And if you think you will get more points on an interview for claiming you nobly decided to up and quit (in this economy) due to the company's ethics...when the company actually did lay you off, and the company may well decide to tell the truth in their reference responses, and it will look like YOU are the one who is falsifying the reason you left in an attempt to appear virtuous, ....well, good luck.

Turning down unemployment benefits of several thousand dollars paid from the employer taxes of the company where you last worked is dumb as a rock. Pride is delicious when the crust is flaky, but you may end up with nothing else to eat.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In this circumstance resigned is appropriate for me than let go. I do not need unemployment, i have enough money and dont care to apply for it. The situation that led to the eventual separation is due to professional moral principles I was adhering to while others did not care for them.
So, is THIS post the lie, or is the original post the lie? You remember...the one where you said you were "...laid off in a bad way due to political reasons."?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, no, Zig. He was laid off; he wants the company to lie and say he resigned.

eerelations

Okay, here's a legal fact:

You have no legal means to force your former employer to falsify its record of your termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">