• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment seached

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

So i've been googling around and it seems an anonymous tip can give probable cause. What info do you have on that if someone says wearing one of these masks is a drug lab in a tip. I mean it seams ridiculous.

quincy

So i've been googling around and it seems an anonymous tip can give probable cause. What info do you have on that if someone says wearing one of these masks is a drug lab in a tip. I mean it seams ridiculous.
There probably was more than an anonymous tip that led the police to your door for entry and search.

Instead of puzzling over this as you have been for a year, call the police department and ask.

Well maybe i should ask them about it then, because i'm pretty sure it was just a tip. Which would be ridiculous if you could buy something from home depot that they could search your apartment.

quincy

Well maybe i should ask them about it then, because i'm pretty sure it was just a tip. Which would be ridiculous because if you buy something from home depot that they could search your apartment.
I agree with you that the search seems legally questionable. It really depends on what led the police to your apartment and what they heard, smelled or saw while there.

quincy

Commercial links aren't permitted on this forum so your post was reported.

Seriously, contact the police department and ask what led them to search your apartment. You might get an answer and you can finally put this to rest. Guessing is not all that productive. :)

Well without the link you can just google "anonymous tip probable cause". Which makes it look like you can get probable cause just because someone doesn't know what the mask is and calls it a drug lab. Which gets your apartment searched for a mask you can use for many legal purposes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well without the link you can just google "anonymous tip probable cause". Which makes it look like you can get probable cause just because someone doesn't know what the mask is and calls it a drug lab. Which gets your apartment searched for a mask you can use for many legal purposes.
Were any actions taken by authorities as a result of the search?
Since you failed to file a timely claim, any legal action (ie: lawsuit) is barred. With that in mind, what does this matter now?

quincy

Okay. I doubt an anonymous tip is all it takes for a search unless the tip included more than just "someone was wearing a mask."

Call the police and ask.

And, Zigner, nothing was done by the police. They searched and left and that, apparently, was that. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I were the OP, I would see no reason to call further attention to myself by calling them and asking them about a search (with no subsequent action) that occurred over a year ago. I mean...why poke the hornet's nest?

Were any actions taken by authorities as a result of the search?
Since you failed to file a timely claim, any legal action (ie: lawsuit) is barred. With that in mind, what does this matter now?
nothing was found by the authorities so i received no charges. It matters as i am wondering what can get my house/apartment searched. Lets say i use this mask for cleaning lead paint up as you are required to wear one for lead paint and they have filters made specifically for cleaning lead paint. That i would not like my house searched again for this and it seems ridiculous and just being used to search my house to possibly find other illegal things like drugs, and that they probably do this to other people until they do find those things.

quincy

If I were the OP, I would see no reason to call further attention to myself by calling them and asking them about a search (with no subsequent action) that occurred over a year ago. I mean...why poke the hornet's nest?
Curiosity, I suppose. This seems to be worrying stoneplanet's mind to distraction.

He now lives elsewhere, where cockroaches are small. :)

I recommend you give this a rest. If you live a legal life, you probably have nothing to fear.

I was thinking that but i don't live in the same state anymore so whats going to happen. Also if i find out maybe i will know more about the law to keep my rights. Such as wearing a mask that protects you from lead poisoning that happens to also be used for making drugs by people also. I mean this mask is used by a lot people. Welders, Painters, people sanding wood metal, people that install insulation. Why am I getting searched for having it but they're not? They even have a plastic suits to keep the lead and insulation off of you. You think a hasmat suit doesn't look like a drug lab? Why would you be getting searched when this is a common tool in the garage to not get cancer.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">