• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apportioning negotiated raise disproportionally across salary guide.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mTheFather

Can a Union negotiate specific terms (such as % increase), ask for a vote based on those terms, and then deliver different %'s to different members based on arbitrary criteria?

In other words, does a ratification vote give direct powers to the union to apportion the % increase across the scale in any way they want?
Can the members require that the % increase negotiated is the same as the % increase received?
I've been unable to find a direct answer to your specific question. However, I have a couple of thoughts. If the members voted on a vague percentage increase without a specific breakdown of how that increase would be apportioned, then I don't see a problem with the union deciding on the apportionment. I do understand your concern and I think it's crappy, but if the contract is that vague, meaning no salary schedules included in the contract, then I don't think the union is bound to a specific percentage increase for every member.

Are you sure that the district hasn't determined the percentage breakdown? If they haven't, then perhaps you should consider being on the negotiations team, or taking an active role in the union.

Sorry I can't be more definitive.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Our ratification vote isn't till next week, but we've been notified by the union that the amount of raise we will receive will vary with the length of service and our salary grade. While there is an average (MOST members will receive between x and y percent), some will receive w and others will receive z.

However, it's already quite clear to me from questions asked as a representative of a related department, that many, many members did not read the information the union sent out, and of those who did, a fair number did not understand it properly.

I imagine the same is likely true in your case. Nothing at all illegal about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">