• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Approximatley what percent of DUI's end up in a full DUI conviction??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

paguy88

Funny - I think they're great. Then again, I don't have to worry about getting stopped for a DUI at one of them either :cool:

Again you miss the point.. Its not about the people the catch... that all fine and dandy...

it the fact they are road blocks.. we live in america not Iraq... and subject those both drinking and not drink to a unreasonable stop... and a violation of our the clear violation of the Fourth Amendment rights...
40 states allow them 10 don't..

IMO I think a zero tolerance... or say .02 or .03 would be a much better alterative.

Roving Patrols have proved to be far more effective...

paguy88

why at one point was the bac to be DUI .20 then dropped too .15 then .10 now point .08?

did the human body change?

nope pressure on the government from loby groups... madd is a 51 million dollar organization.. with a adjenda.... part of this was to get the BAC dropped nation wide to .08 why do you think they Highway transportation agaency said to each state drop you bac too .08 or your not getting any highway dollars?

Loby groups....

wonder why the 1.6 million people who get arrested for dui dont form some group? pleny of false arrests and bad laws IMO.

A Chicago police officer whose alleged misconduct has caused dozens of DUI cases to be dismissed was sued Monday by a man he arrested last summer.

Officer John Haleas was disciplined this month for failing to follow procedures in a DUI stop, leading to 50 cases being dropped by Cook County prosecutors.

In a proposed class-action lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Noe ******ez alleged he was arrested for DUI after he left a Chicago tavern but before he had even started up his car…

“Basically, this officer has manufactured really countless false charges and lied under oath in the prosecution of those charges in literally hundreds of cases,” said ******ez’s attorney, Jon Erickson.

Haleas did not administer a sobriety test until at the Grand Central District police station, ******ez contended, and testing was inconclusive. ******ez was released but still charged with DUI, the suit said. In reports filed in the case, Haleas alleged ******ez was driving and refused to take a breath test…

Police have said Haleas was given a one-day suspension and was reassigned to desk duty. He had been honored as one of the leading officers in Illinois in the number of DUI arrests logged.

As long as you keep having quotas, promotions and MADD “Top Cop” awards, you’re going to have hundreds of “SuperCops” out there falsely arresting thousands of citizens for drunk driving

CdwJava

it the fact they are road blocks.. we live in america not Iraq... and subject those both drinking and not drink to a unreasonable stop... and a violation of our the clear violation of the Fourth Amendment rights...
Apparently the courts disagree with this assertion.

IMO I think a zero tolerance... or say .02 or .03 would be a much better alterative.
I agree.

Roving Patrols have proved to be far more effective...
Effective in what way? And, roving for what? And where?

Random patrols are statistically less effective at suppressing crime ... directed patrols are measurably better.

- Carl

CdwJava

why at one point was the bac to be DUI .20 then dropped too .15 then .10 now point .08?

did the human body change?
No, only the study and understanding of what constitutes "impairment". In the old days they used to adhere to the sloppy drunk princliple where a person had to be sufficiently drunk to be intoxicated. They have since discovered that one does not have to be intoxicated (as in being sloppy drunk - or, as would permit a pubilc intoxication arrest) to be too impaired to be a danger.

nope pressure on the government from loby groups... madd is a 51 million dollar organization.. with a adjenda.... part of this was to get the BAC dropped nation wide to .08 why do you think they Highway transportation agaency said to each state drop you bac too .08 or your not getting any highway dollars?
Because rational people understand that alcohol has a serious impact on judgment, reasoning, response time, processing, etc. - all things that are needed to drive safely. MADD may have helped point this out, but they still had to sell it to leglsiatures and a populace that was (and largely still is) comfortable with alcohol and viewed drunks as "quaint" and even comical rather than dangerous (remember the movie, Arthur? And almost ANY characetr played by the late Dudley Moore?).

wonder why the 1.6 million people who get arrested for dui dont form some group? pleny of false arrests and bad laws IMO.
Most are fine arrests. "Bad" is a value judgment and depends on the perspective. I think they are bad because they are too lenient ... thankfully for some I am not in charge of the world.

A Chicago police officer whose alleged misconduct has caused dozens of DUI cases to be dismissed was sued Monday by a man he arrested last summer.
I hope he's fired - maybe even prosecuted ... well, if he actually committed misconduct.

Officer John Haleas was disciplined this month for failing to follow procedures in a DUI stop, leading to 50 cases being dropped by Cook County prosecutors.
Not following "procedures" is not the same as saying the subjects were not drunk. If he lied or falsified evidence, I hope he is prosecuted.

However, keep in mind that this is an allegation at this point and not a fact. ANYONE can claim anything. I have been accused of a number of entirely false things in my time, and sued once.

As long as you keep having quotas, promotions and MADD “Top Cop” awards, you’re going to have hundreds of “SuperCops” out there falsely arresting thousands of citizens for drunk driving
There are awards for all manner of things ... I guess no one should be rewarded for anything.

Defense attorneys are certainly free to use an officer's award as a defense strategy arguing his or her incentive to obtain the award as a reason to falsify reports.

As for "quotas" I don't know of any state where they are legal.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">