• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are all states this messed up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Ohio

A couple of scenarios:

*Please note that both scenarios were handled by the same county CSEA agency.

1) Couple "B" divorces, exhusband is ordered to pay support. He does so faithfully every month for years, never falling behind or so much as having a late payment. Exhusband is in an accident, and cannot work for 3 months. Exhusband was the "at fault" driver, so there is no money coming in for lost time wages. Exhusband informs support office of his injuries and temporary inability to work, requests temporary reduction in support which is denied. Exhusband then tries to work a deal with the CSEA where he would sign a paper allowing them to deduct double payments from his paychecks once he is able to go back to work until the 3 months of arrears are paid off. Again, the request is denied. Within 2 months of exhusbands accident, there is a contempt charge against him for failure to pay his support (arrears at that point were $810...2 months worth of child support). He is found in contempt, even after submitting proof from his doctors that he is unable to work.

2) Couple "B" again. Exhusband was awarded custody of couples 2 children in 2001. Exwife is ordered to pay support. Exwife quickly falls behind in her CS payments, sending a support payment once every 3-4 months (she was paid weekly). Around the time her arrears were around $2000, she is bitten by a dog on her hand and must undergo surgery to fix a tendon. Exwife milks this injury for over a year, during which time she pays no support. Her arrears continue to climb, and reach $5000+. Exhusband finally calls CSEA office asking what they are doing to collect his CS. Case worker tells him that they cannot collect due to the fact that exwife has an injury and cannot work at this time. Exwife finally goes back to work, part time. Exhusband again calls CS agency to ask why they are still not enforcing the CS order, and is told by his caseworker "Well, she is only working part time for minimum wage." Exhusband says "And your point is...?" and caseworker replies "Well, I can't take all of her money, she has to live too, you know!" :eek: Wait a minute. Exhusband is unable to work for 3 months due to an injury and is found in contempt for being $810 behind in his support, but the exwife can be over $5000 behind in her support due to an injury, and that's OK?

Are all states CS agencies this messed up? At one point, exhusband from these scenarios (who is my husband) considered filing a suit of some sort against the State of Ohio CSEA...but knew he would have more in attorney fees than what exwife owed him. It was just the principle, you know?

It just amazes me that a CS agency can handle cases like this the way they do and get away with it. When dad is ordered to pay, they go after him with full force, but when mom is ordered to pay, the cut her all kinds of slack. It's like they are saying "If the kids live with mom, they deserve to be supported by dad. But if they live with dad, he can support them on his own, mom has bills of her own to pay."

brisgirl825

Look ladies, there are plenty of men who get away with not paying cs too. CSE goes after whomever is the easiest to catch.

I worked fulltime, living on my own, and had no car with two kids plus myself to support. I brought home $800 a month with $600 going to the babysitter. My kids and I lived off PB&J and hotdogs. No heat in winter; we wore coats and no air conditioning in the summer. I received no welfare and never did CSE help me collect. I was told "he has to live too" along with dad #2 in your scenarios.
So let's not make this a discrimination thing. Anyone, male or female, can get away with not paying support if they are clever enough. :rolleyes:

Gracie3787

MomIsWorried said:
That's exactly what my husband and I thought.

So yes...that's the legal question... could this be considered a form of discrimination?
Well, yes it is a kind of discrimination , but nothing can be done about it.

And yes, it seems that most state agencies are screwed up- the NCP who tries thier best to do right gets screwed over. And the NCP who runs, and does everything the wrong way gets away with it. I've personally seen both sides and it sucks all the way around- no one wins.
Gracie

Look ladies, there are plenty of men who get away with not paying cs too.
No argument there. My exhusband is one of those men who get away with not paying, and it baffles me. The man makes $55,000 a year (not including overtime, which he works a lot of), and cannot seem to pay his support. I don't make a huge deal about it because we do get along so well, and he does do a lot of things for our children when he has them, which is often. I know I will eventually get the money, one way or another.

I didn't start this post to scream discrimination, just curious as to other states and their CS standards. And again, it baffles me that the same agency can treat the two people in an order so differently.

In fact, there was an alert in our local newspaper a few weeks ago where the CSEA had made new "Wanted" posters for NCP's they were looking for who had outstanding arrears. There were, I think, 7 different pictures with details in the newspaper. The first 6 were in arrears anywhere from $10,000 - $50,000...then I read the last one, who had arrears of something like $700. It was a father (in fact, all of them were fathers) ... and I had to laugh at that because my husbands exwife owes him over $5000, and my exhusband owes me over $5000, and neither one of them are on wanted posters.

brisgirl825

MomIsWorried said:
No argument there. My exhusband is one of those men who get away with not paying, and it baffles me. The man makes $55,000 a year (not including overtime, which he works a lot of), and cannot seem to pay his support. I don't make a huge deal about it because we do get along so well, and he does do a lot of things for our children when he has them, which is often. I know I will eventually get the money, one way or another.

I didn't start this post to scream discrimination, just curious as to other states and their CS standards. And again, it baffles me that the same agency can treat the two people in an order so differently.

In fact, there was an alert in our local newspaper a few weeks ago where the CSEA had made new "Wanted" posters for NCP's they were looking for who had outstanding arrears. There were, I think, 7 different pictures with details in the newspaper. The first 6 were in arrears anywhere from $10,000 - $50,000...then I read the last one, who had arrears of something like $700. It was a father (in fact, all of them were fathers) ... and I had to laugh at that because my husbands exwife owes him over $5000, and my exhusband owes me over $5000, and neither one of them are on wanted posters.
I think CSE standards are very similar in every state. They go after the NCPs that are the easiest to catch. They don't have the time or resources to go after the people who really need to be caught.

The wanted posters are a bunch of crap. They think that they can shame people into paying. :rolleyes: I am sorry but if someone doesn't want to help support their kids, they don't have much pride to begin with.

Zephyr

brisgirl825 said:
I think CSE standards are very similar in every state. They go after the NCPs that are the easiest to catch. They don't have the time or resources to go after the people who really need to be caught.

The wanted posters are a bunch of crap. They think that they can shame people into paying. :rolleyes: I am sorry but if someone doesn't want to help support their kids, they don't have much pride to begin with.

and putting the guy on there for 700, is ridiculous

WANNACRY said:
and putting the guy on there for 700, is ridiculous
Exactly! That's why I had to laugh at it. This county is so screwed up when it comes to support. My brother-in-law has 4 kids with 4 different women, and doesn't pay support for any of them. He owes something like $20,000 for the youngest ... all 4 cases are handled by the same county...and they are only going after him for one of the cases. They obviously know where he lives and where he is employed ... but they also obviously think that only one of his 4 children needs to be supported. It's crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">