• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are dental expenses considered an unreimbursed medical expense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark g

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I'm being petitioned by my children's mother to pay dental expenses for braces our daughter now has? The support order says to split medical expenses 50/50 but never mentions orthodontia or dental anywhere in the order. The bill is $5100 and her attorney says I'll either pay half or served with papers to appear in court for contempt......My employer has a vision insurance, dental insurance, and medical insurance. I'm signing my children up for both medical and dental insurance but even that is not in the order. Are braces actually considered a medical expense or is it a dental expense or is there even a distinction between the two in the eyes of the Court?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I'm being petitioned by my children's mother to pay dental expenses for braces our daughter now has? The support order says to split medical expenses 50/50 but never mentions orthodontia or dental anywhere in the order. The bill is $5100 and her attorney says I'll either pay half or served with papers to appear in court for contempt......My employer has a vision insurance, dental insurance, and medical insurance. I'm signing my children up for both medical and dental insurance but even that is not in the order. Are braces actually considered a medical expense or is it a dental expense or is there even a distinction between the two in the eyes of the Court?

I would say most likel you are on the hook for half the bill.....but

The SC child support website is not clear on the distinction. I would contact them and ask a worker. Have copy of your order with you when you do.

Child Support Enforcement Division
Central Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 1469
Columbia, SC 29202-1469

Phone: 1-800-768-5858 or (803)898-9210

mistoffolees

I would say most likel you are on the hook for half the bill.....but

The SC child support website is not clear on the distinction. I would contact them and ask a worker. Have copy of your order with you when you do.

Child Support Enforcement Division
Central Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 1469
Columbia, SC 29202-1469

Phone: 1-800-768-5858 or (803)898-9210
Before doing that, I would contact the orthodontist to find out if the braces are medically necessary or cosmetic. It may change the answer you get from CSE.

mark g

Just a quick follow-up, I've left several messages to the CSE and have yet to receive a return call so I'm gonna just go down there next week.....does anyone else have a clear answer to the question I posed regarding SC Child Support law?

mistoffolees

Just a quick follow-up, I've left several messages to the CSE and have yet to receive a return call so I'm gonna just go down there next week.....does anyone else have a clear answer to the question I posed regarding SC Child Support law?
As I said, you first have to find out of the braces are medically necessary since it is likely to change the answer.

gasgirl

Malocclusion

Chances are, your orthodontist has documented "malocclusion" as a reason for recommending braces. This does constitute a medical necessity- "to prevent excessive wear on the teeth and jaw". There is more, but that was part of what my orthodontist wrote when my ex balked at the $4500+ bill. The judge agreed.

I just went through this, in NV.

Come on, take care of the kid. All orthodontists have a very liberal payment plan (mine was $100/month)-that means $50 each for me and my ex. It's the right thing to do. Don't waste time and energy on this...giving your ex a hard time isn't going to demonstrate that you want the best for your child.

mark g

good advice MALOCCLUSION......I've actually been thinking about that and I think that's exactly what i'll do....work out a payment plan...THANX!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">