• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

arguement with coworker outside of work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

memory97064

What is the name of your state? MS
I recently went out with one of my coworkers to a bar with a male acquaintance of hers and his friends. After the bar we drove to her house and I asked to lay down and take a nap until someone was sober enough to drive me home (I did not drive). As I was dosing off, I overheard my coworker snooping through my purse. I continued to lay with my eyed closed for another couple of minutes, and then pretended to wake up. I did not notice anything missing when I came home. A few days later, the girl called me and invited me to a night club. I was skeptical so I told her that I would meet her there with my roommate. My roommate and I rode with one of the nice guys I met at the bar with her. The three of us went inside the club together and I assumed we would leave together. Some hours later I could not find my driver. My roommate informed me that he left for the night but she forgot to mention that my purse was in his truck. I called him franticaly and when he finally answered his phone, I was told that my coworker took my purse out of his truck because according to her I would have preferred her keep it in her posession. I repeatedly called her for hours because I did not have my keys, my wallet, and I did not trust her with my credit card, bank card, etc. Being intoxicated, I left her some not so pleasant messages after hours of calling with no answer. She was lodging at a hotel with one of her male acquaintances, so I drove there. I knocked on her door and calmly asked for my purse. She sent for the hotel manager and the only other option left was to call the police (big mistake). It was obvious I was driving and could have been arrested for public drunkeness. The girl convinced the cops, as she cried hysterically, that I was drunk and overreacting. She claimed that we have been friends for years and has no idea why I would accuse her of having my purse. I had to call a friend to pick me up within 5 minutes or would be arrested. The next day I received a phone call from her and she told me she called our boss and played my voicemail to him and that I was terminated for threatening her. I also discovered that my purse was in the hotel the entire time and that Robert, the driver, would pick it up and return it to me. It wasn't until two days later that I received my purse. Now I have to go through the trouble of waiting for my new bank cards in the mail, and have no job. I called the director of our company and told my side of the story. He does not care for her and is familiar with her devious ways, but she also happens to be on a more personal level with the president of the company (very personal) and now am clueless as to what options I have, if any, to get my job back. I know that corporations have no tolerance for threats against other coworkers, but I honestly did not think she would try to sabotage my career. Can you please give me some advice?

Sockeye

There is no legal option to assist you, the company does not have to hire you back. Your only option is to appeal to your boss and hopefully he can convince the Pres to bring you back, although at this point I'd suggest finding a new company and more professional set of co-workers.

memory97064 said:
What is the name of your state? MS
I recently went out with one of my coworkers to a bar with a male acquaintance of hers and his friends. After the bar we drove to her house and I asked to lay down and take a nap until someone was sober enough to drive me home (I did not drive). As I was dosing off, I overheard my coworker snooping through my purse. I continued to lay with my eyed closed for another couple of minutes, and then pretended to wake up. I did not notice anything missing when I came home. A few days later, the girl called me and invited me to a night club. I was skeptical so I told her that I would meet her there with my roommate. My roommate and I rode with one of the nice guys I met at the bar with her. The three of us went inside the club together and I assumed we would leave together. Some hours later I could not find my driver. My roommate informed me that he left for the night but she forgot to mention that my purse was in his truck. I called him franticaly and when he finally answered his phone, I was told that my coworker took my purse out of his truck because according to her I would have preferred her keep it in her posession. I repeatedly called her for hours because I did not have my keys, my wallet, and I did not trust her with my credit card, bank card, etc. Being intoxicated, I left her some not so pleasant messages after hours of calling with no answer. She was lodging at a hotel with one of her male acquaintances, so I drove there. I knocked on her door and calmly asked for my purse. She sent for the hotel manager and the only other option left was to call the police (big mistake). It was obvious I was driving and could have been arrested for public drunkeness. The girl convinced the cops, as she cried hysterically, that I was drunk and overreacting. She claimed that we have been friends for years and has no idea why I would accuse her of having my purse. I had to call a friend to pick me up within 5 minutes or would be arrested. The next day I received a phone call from her and she told me she called our boss and played my voicemail to him and that I was terminated for threatening her. I also discovered that my purse was in the hotel the entire time and that Robert, the driver, would pick it up and return it to me. It wasn't until two days later that I received my purse. Now I have to go through the trouble of waiting for my new bank cards in the mail, and have no job. I called the director of our company and told my side of the story. He does not care for her and is familiar with her devious ways, but she also happens to be on a more personal level with the president of the company (very personal) and now am clueless as to what options I have, if any, to get my job back. I know that corporations have no tolerance for threats against other coworkers, but I honestly did not think she would try to sabotage my career. Can you please give me some advice?
Too bad you weren't working for the company I worked for because after I won my UC case the cowardly district manager who ordered my firing called me up and started threatening my job prospects. I had taped the conversation and sent a copy of the tape to the company and their response was this..... "Your tape is inadmissable because we have no control over what our employees do on their own time, however we will keep this tape for our records in the event another complaint of this nature arises against this individual. If XXXXX XXXXXXXX calls you again and the threats become more severe you are encouraged to call the police or the FBI".

Beth3

I don't quite see how she sabotaged your career. I'm not trying to kick you when you're down but you've managed to do that quite nicely on your own: Going out to nightclubs with co-workers and men you barely know, getting drunk, driving drunk, leaving your purse in some guy's car you don't even know, causing a scene at the hotel that resulted in the police being involved, accusing this coworker basically of stealing your purse, leaving her drunken and accusatory voice mail messages and so on.

If your employer wishes to terminate you because of your conduct off the job involving this co-worker they may.

It sounds like you need to stay away from alcohol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">