• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I'm a 17 year old in Arizona, pretty responsible, I get good grades, I'm not a troublemaker. I was raised in a sort of unstable environment, though, with my mother, and I have since had legal custody given to my father (about 2 years ago). To make a long story short, we never have gotten along. My dad now WANTS to let me get emancipated. Here, I know Arizona has no statutes regarding its legality, so I would like to know what I can do to get emancipated, with my father's aproval. Thanks in advance for your help.


I'm a Northern Girl
If your state has no statutes for minor emancipation, then one of two things is going to happen.

1.) You will not be able to be emancipated at all, and will have to wait until you are 18 to move out.

2.) You will have to convince a judge that emancipation is in your best interest AND that you can COMPLETELY support yourself with no help from ANYONE including rent, food, transportation, medical care, education and so on (that means no moving in with grandparents or friends, no financial assistance from the state, YOU are fully financially responsible for yourself).

#2 is assuming that your state even gives a judge the authority to grant emancipation to a minor. Not all states do.

What's the rush?


My dad now WANTS to let me get emancipated
Tell daddy to stuff it. He is asking for you to get emancipated so that he doesn't have to pay child support any longer.

Just tell him that Arizona does not recognize legal emancipation and that he'll just have to keep the checks coming.


It's not really a matter of support, I buy my own food, pay my own car insurance, and anything else I want. I just don't have to pay rent(which wouldn't really be a big deal either). It's not really worth the fights we have because neither of us want me here, and I'm tired of his drinking since I'm the only scapegoat around when he is drunk (not usually hitting, but just the "comments", if you know what I mean).
As for "Why the rush?"... because I already pretty much support myself, except he still controls me, and we don't get along.

I've been engaged for the past few months to a guy in the military (whom I really do believe I love, despite the sh*t I'll probably get for it) and what my father and I have been looking into is him signing for me to get married, because I believe that DOES legally emancipate me. Either way, thanks for your help :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential