• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrangement for single parent in USA to transfer funds to handicapped daughter in Canada upon death.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Her mother told me that if the entire sum of the estate was given to her daughter, "It would be spent in days."

The mother will have to change the way the accounts are set up today in order to cautiously dole money out. It does make one wonder why the accounts were ever set up as "joint" or TOD to begin with if the mother had the concern of her daughter being a spendthrift. Seems there was no consideration given to that.

I agree with the need to thoroughly understand the conditions of the Canadian aid being given the daughter. However, there is no plan to defraud the Canadian government. The problem is, the daughter does not have enough income to raise her family and that is why she requires help from her mother on occasion. The goal is to allow available funds to last as long as possible when the mother is no longer around to provide help.

I appreciate the advice to search out a lawyer in Missouri. I would think doing so would be more convenient than trying to find one in Canada. But that knowledge I don't have and to learn what to do is why I came here. I appreciate all the advice that is being provided.

All great questions. I sincerely appreciate your willingness to help with this complex situation.
Your friend can get good answers from an attorney in her area. I know of one excellent international law firm in Missouri and there are others. This forum does not permit us to make referrals so your friend should simply use the Missouri Bar link and interview a few lawyers from a few firms before selecting one who can do what she wants done.

Frankpc

Your friend can get good answers from an attorney in her area. I know of one excellent international law firm in Missouri and there are others. This forum does not permit us to make referrals so your friend should simply use the Missouri Bar link and interview a few lawyers from a few firms before selecting one who can do what she wants done.
Thank you. I appreciate the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">