• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrest Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustFit

Mississippi is my home state.

I told the public defender to have the court date set up on December 16, because I get SSI social security income on December 1. But the Judge set up on December 2nd. So I won't be able to afford to buy a plane ticket to fly out there to California the next day. It would be like $1,000 or something. You know it will be cheaper if I purchase the ticket to fly on December 16.

My public defender does not listen to me. It seems like he is working with the DA and working against me.

Does the police come to my house if the Judge issue Warrant for my arrest for not showing up for the court? What does the Arrest Warrant do? Especially during the COVID 19.

Do they let me fly on the plane for free to California? Or do they just have me sitting in jail forever?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My public defender does not listen to me. It seems like he is working with the DA and working against me.
Your attorney can only ask the court for the date that works for you. The judge is the one who decides when the trial will be, not either of the attorneys. The judge doesn't set the trial date with the convienence of the defendant as the primary factor. The judge's main consideration is making sure that the trial will fit in with his/her schedule of other trials and hearings, and ensuring that the attorneys don't already have other trials to do at the same time. So it's not an issue here of your lawyer conspiring against you. It's simply that the judge found a different date worked better for his/her schedule.

Does the police come to my house if the Judge issue Warrant for my arrest for not showing up for the court?
They might, if California issues it as an interstate warrant. It would do that if it were willing pay the cost to bring you back to California. The more serious the offense, the more likely it is that they'll pursue coming to Mississippi to bring you back.

What does the Arrest Warrant do?
It provides the police with the authority to take you into custody.

quincy

Mississippi is my home state.

I told the public defender to have the court date set up on December 16, because I get SSI social security income on December 1. But the Judge set up on December 2nd. So I won't be able to afford to buy a plane ticket to fly out there to California the next day. It would be like $1,000 or something. You know it will be cheaper if I purchase the ticket to fly on December 16.

Does the police come to my house if the Judge issue Warrant for my arrest for not showing up for the court? What does the Arrest Warrant do? Especially during the COVID 19.

Do they let me fly on the plane for free to California? Or do they just have me sitting in jail forever?
I deleted my previous response to your thread because I didn’t read your original post very carefully. Sorry.

But I still am not entirely sure I understand what your current situation is.

Were you charged with a crime in California while you were still in California? Were you assigned a public defender at that time? Or were you charged with a crime in California after you had already left California and returned to Mississippi?

The type of arrest warrant and how it is handled can depend on the reason for the issuance of the arrest warrant.

If a court hearing is scheduled for December 2 in California and you don’t appear as scheduled, a failure to appear warrant can be issued by the court for your arrest.

As Taxing Matters indicated, what happens with the arrest warrant largely depends on the crime you are said to have committed and, potentially, on when you left California and why.

Would you care to provide a few more details?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I have a client who missed his Massachusetts court date and was arrested in California. He signed a waiver of extradition in March, but was held until July for transport. The court lost the paperwork, so when he was sentenced, he didn't get credit for those four months.

He rode on the plane for free.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you bought your ticket for the 16th so you can turn yourself in, right?

LdiJ

So, you bought your ticket for the 16th so you can turn yourself in, right?
He said in his original post that he couldn't buy a ticket until he gets his SS Benefits on December 1st. So, no, he clearly hasn't purchased his ticket yet.

Zigner

He said in his original post that he couldn't buy a ticket until he gets his SS Benefits on December 1st. So, no, he clearly hasn't purchased his ticket yet.
Yes, you're right. So the better question for the OP is this: You will be buying that ticket on the first, right?

quincy

Depending on the crime, JustFit potentially could have a free ride to California (by car or plane), compliments of the state of California. Depending on the crime, he also might be accompanied on his trip from Mississippi.

Zigner

True, but if he really has no money until December 1st then that won't help him as it would take much more than one day to get from MS to CA by bus.
He doesn't have money for airfare. $89 is much easier to come up with...

quincy

True, but if he really has no money until December 1st then that won't help him as it would take much more than one day to get from MS to CA by bus.
It is better for JustFit to borrow a little money so he can attend the scheduled hearing than wait to be arrested for not appearing in court.

He receives his social security money on the first so he should be able to repay a loan within a short period of time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And if they do extradite him and he is found guilty, he could find himself paying the cost of his flight and more.

quincy

One way from Baton Rouge to LAX on American Airlines on 12/1 is currently $148. OP should have gotten SSI money 4 days ago, and should be able to buy that ticket NOW.
He is in Mississippi, not Louisiana - but buying a ticket now makes sense. I don’t quite know why the 16th of December is the preferred date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">