• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Association fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carolynkelly7

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I purchased a townhouse two years ago and have a monthly association fee with The Community Group Association in Richmond, Va. They are not upholding their end of the upkeep of my property and the property of my neighbors and it is a disgrace to have company to my home for how it looks on the outside. It was primed to be painted over a year ago and remains in that state – primed, but no new paint! The outside lights often go out and will be out for months at a time. Once one of the lightbulbs was broken and not cleaned up for weeks, for any child or animal to cut themselves. Potholes have popped tires of neighbors and guests. I could go on and on.
I have written to the Association, e-mailed, been involved in a neighbor's communication with them and have called and spoken to them myself.
I did not pay my fee for four months. After these interactions with the association, when viewing my bill on-line, it stated I only owed one month. So I paid that and the following month.
Within a few weeks, I received a letter from a law firm in which the association is suing me for unpaid fees through the rest of the year, plus the lawyers fees. I was under the impression that they credited my four unpaid months because of all the complaints and therefore was very surprised.
Do I have a case enough to hire my own lawyer to fight this? I am tired of living in a dump and now I have learned my lesson with being involved with an association!!!!!

I would appreciate any help you can give me with this.

Thank you!

wayne-o

It depends, do you condo ccr's have a section that says you are allowed to withhold payments? probably not. You should have hired the lawyer to sue them for not doing their job. Now you will only be defending why you didnt do what you were supposed to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">