• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attn: vsshires

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

proud_parent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa -- same as the OP in question

May I ask why you deleted your thread? In it, you were asking about "new" Iowa law regarding grandparent visitation. The Geekess posted some links to current law, including Iowa Code Chapter 600C.1. I then posted the following link to a bill before the assembly, SF 2207; the changes proposed would (if enacted) substantially reduce the number of factors the Court must consider when determining whether to grant a petition for grandparent or great-grandparent visitation.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?category=billinfo&service=billbook&GA=82&hbill=SF2207

I had been hoping your thread would remain up long enough to attract the attention of our resident gpv experts. I was also rather hoping that they might have some inside information -- such as the bill's having died in committee -- that I was unable to uncover online.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa -- same as the OP in question

May I ask why you deleted your thread? In it, you were asking about "new" Iowa law regarding grandparent visitation. The Geekess posted some links to current law, including Iowa Code Chapter 600C.1. I then posted the following link to a bill before the assembly, SF 2207; the changes proposed would (if enacted) substantially reduce the number of factors the Court must consider when determining whether to grant a petition for grandparent or great-grandparent visitation.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?category=billinfo&service=billbook&GA=82&hbill=SF2207

I had been hoping your thread would remain up long enough to attract the attention of our resident gpv experts. I was also rather hoping that they might have some inside information -- such as the bill's having died in committee -- that I was unable to uncover online.
There is no way that bill is going to pass. The bill is attempting to take out all of the language that was adopted by the legislature as a result of the USSC decision in Troxel. It simply can't pass. If it somehow did pass, it would just end up getting overturned by the Iowa Supreme Court. That bill has to be a sop to grandparent lobbying groups.

The first paragraph of the bill tells the whole story, because they are trying to take out the rebuttable presumption language that fit parents act in the best interest of their children. That's a keystone of Troxel and there is no way that a bill without that would pass.

Last edited:

proud_parent

There is no way that bill is going to pass. The bill is attempting to take out all of the language that was adopted by the legislature as a result of the USSC decision in Troxel. It simply can't pass. If it somehow did pass, it would just end up getting overturned by the Iowa Supreme Court. That bill has to be a sop to grandparent lobbying groups.

The first paragraph of the bill tells the whole story, because they are trying to take out the rebuttable presumption language that fit parents act in the best interest of their children. That's a keystone of Troxel and there is no way that a bill without that would pass.
Thanks, LdiJ -- that is precisely the sort of reassurance I was hoping for.

Bills like this have been coming up each session since the Iowa Supreme Court [In re Howard, 661 N.W.2d 183 (Iowa 2003)] overturned the previous gpv statute. We do have a vocal grandparent lobby.

I hope your commentary helps Iowa parents to breathe a bit easier.

LdiJ

Thanks, LdiJ -- that is precisely the sort of reassurance I was hoping for.

Bills like this have been coming up each session since the Iowa Supreme Court [In re Howard, 661 N.W.2d 183 (Iowa 2003)] overturned the previous gpv statute. We do have a vocal grandparent lobby.

I hope your commentary helps Iowa parents to breathe a bit easier.
Bills come up every year in most states, because most states have tightened the language of their laws since Troxel. GP lobbies fight hard to get legislators to sponsor bills that give broad statuatory rights to grandparents, and I have yet to see one pass, in any state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">