• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney increased charges during case, when opposing party defaulted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Have you read the contract? Do so and tell us exactly what it says.
The contract says that i agree to pay her $250.00 per hour and in the end of the contract, she wrote "Client agrees to pay $500.00 as retainer and pay the rest of $500.00 within 30 days".

Nowehere in the contract it says that she will be handeling this case for the fixed amount of $1000.00.

Anyway, i might not have strong case here. So here's my question. My wife defaulted on pre-trial date and the judge asked my attorney to bring in the decree for her to sign. Instead of arguing with attorney about the fees that she thinks i owe her, do you guys think its a better idea, just to prepare the decree myself and take it to the judge for her to sign?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The contract says that i agree to pay her $250.00 per hour and in the end of the contract, she wrote "Client agrees to pay $500.00 as retainer and pay the rest of $500.00 within 30 days".

Nowehere in the contract it says that she will be handeling this case for the fixed amount of $1000.00.

Anyway, i might not have strong case here. So here's my question. My wife defaulted on pre-trial date and the judge asked my attorney to bring in the decree for her to sign. Instead of arguing with attorney about the fees that she thinks i owe her, do you guys think its a better idea, just to prepare the decree myself and take it to the judge for her to sign?
So you owe her $250.00 per hour. Look at her hourly rate and pay her what you owe her. The $1000.00 was only to retain her. Which covers 4 hours worth of work. You can't just prepare the decree yourself and take it to the judge. Quit being cheap and fulfill the contract by paying what you owe.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Out here, ten minutes is used a lot. When we multiply it out, that's what I'm thinking it refers to to the relevant significant digit. It's easier than writing out 1.66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 repeating.
I went to law school to avoid math. I like 0.1 better than 1.66666666. LOL. But makes sense. Local custom.

TigerD

OP: You just learned what many people have yet to realize.

Why are divorces so expensive?

Because they're worth it.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">