• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney settlement records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill Johns

Minnesota is the state. I'm wondering if there is a straightforward way of determining which attorneys have the best records at getting favorable outcomes for clients in certain areas of employment law. Is there a way to search legal records that show who has the best (or worst) records in defamation or whistleblower cases, for example?

Bill

quincy

Minnesota is the state. I'm wondering if there is a straightforward way of determining which attorneys have the best records at getting favorable outcomes for clients in certain areas of employment law. Is there a way to search legal records that show who has the best (or worst) records in defamation or whistleblower cases, for example?

Bill
There are no records kept that show attorney wins or losses. There are several reasons why such records do not exist.

Most cases of all kinds will settle prior to trial, for one reason. Not only do many settlement agreements include confidentiality clauses that will keep terms of the settlement private, with settlements there are often no clear winners or losers. Settlements are compromises.

Another reason is that what could be seen as a loss by some can actually be a win (and vice versa). A client may walk away from a criminal offense with a lighter sentence because of an attorney's involvement (e.g., diversion instead of jail).

There are not only the facts of each case to consider and how an attorney handles the special quirks that are presented, but also each client must be considered and how an attorney handles their special quirks.

The best way to choose an attorney, therefore, is to interview several and ASK them about their cases. Get recommendations from family, friends, acquaintances, and other attorneys you might know.

Good luck.

Bill Johns

There are no records kept that show attorney wins or losses. There are several reasons why such records do not exist.

Most cases of all kinds will settle prior to trial, for one reason. Not only do many settlement agreements include confidentiality clauses that will keep terms of the settlement private, with settlements there are often no clear winners or losers. Settlements are compromises.

Another reason is that what could be seen as a loss by some can actually be a win (and vice versa). A client may walk away from a criminal offense with a lighter sentence because of an attorney's involvement (e.g., diversion instead of jail).

There are not only the facts of each case to consider and how an attorney handles the special quirks that are presented, but also each client must be considered and how an attorney handles their special quirks.

The best way to choose an attorney, therefore, is to interview several and ASK them about their cases. Get recommendations from family, friends, acquaintances, and other attorneys you might know.

Good luck.

Ah, thanks I didn't realize it was so nuanced. I am trying to get referrals but its not easy.

What do you think of AVVO's ratings? Not the client reviews but the site itself provides ratings on some attorneys using their own system.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your question is really not proper for this forum. This forum is not a discussion site or an attorney review site.

quincy

Ah, thanks I didn't realize it was so nuanced. I am trying to get referrals but its not easy.

What do you think of AVVO's ratings? Not the client reviews but the site itself provides ratings on some attorneys using their own system.
I do not trust any online ratings. They are too easy to manipulate.

If you are looking for an attorney, it can often be a matter of interviewing several in your area who meet your basic requirements (e.g., area of specialty) and winnowing the list of attorneys down by criteria set by you (e.g., personality, cost, experience).

You can do an online search if you carefully consider sources of information, and you can check the State Bar for disciplinary actions, and you can ask friends, family and associates for recommendations.

But finding an attorney can be like finding a house - a lot of looking until you find one you like.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">