• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am the victim of an autoaccident. The police gave the violator the ticket of fault.
Should I claim her insurance Gieco for my damage? or use my own insurance.

Gieco states that they have to listen to the violator side story to verify the case before
they approve the liability to me. However,
the violator is not reporting the case at all
to Gieco Insurance. She is hiding.
What should I do to have my car fixed?


I have worked in insurance for 2 years, but do not consider me an insurance pro (just offering friendly advice).

From what I understand, you can't get the driver-at-fault to come clean? You have the option of submitting the claim to your insurance company. The insurer will then subrogate (go back to collect from) to the responsible party. The downside to submitting the claim to your insurer is that you will have to pay the deductible, and the insurer will only promise to try to subrogate. If they are not successful, then your rates increase, and you are out the deductible. If the damage was great, and you are left w/out a vehicle, and if you never get anywhere with the responsible party, at least you're only out the deductible and the minimal increase in premium. If you are successful and your insurer collects from the responsible party, you will be reimbursed your deductible and you shouldn't see the premium increase.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential