• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto accident-rear-ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My daughter was rear-ended by an 18 wheeler dump truck. She was stopped behind a driver who was turning left. The insurance company is dragging their feet. My daughter's ins. co. told her they couldn't do anything and to call the driver of 18 wheeler's ins. co. The police did not even give my dau. that info. My dau. had to be taken to the hospital by ambulance. She was sent home but her neck hurts. Help! What are the procedures for NC?



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

The procedures are the same as for anywhere. You stop trying to handle this one on your own and contacting the wrong people.

Call a personal injury attorney in north carolina by either trying attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

They will contact the 18 wheeler's insurance company and go from there.

In the meantime, tell your daughter to keep a daily journal of all contacts she has with doctors and all pain and suffering she has...make sure it is detailed.


Dear sam2me:
If your daughter was rear-ended by a truck, then that truck is probably at fault; why isn't your insurance company handling this? I recommend asking your insurance company this question; as long as you have the proper coverage, they have a duty to indemnify you. If they give you a reason why they can't/won't handle it, tell them you want that reason in writing and have them both fax and mail it to you. In the meantime, talk to a local personal injury attorney. Most attorneys will give a free half hour consultation and, with bodily injury involved, you can probably get an attorney to take this on a contingency fee basis. As for getting info on the truck, get a copy of the police report. Most police dept's will make an official report when there is bodily injury involved and all that info should be on the report. Your insurance company probably has a copy of this; ask them for a copy of it. And do all this soon; you may be bumping into your statute of limitations (ie, the date in which you have to file your lawsuit or forever hold your piece). If you need a referrel to a local PI attorney, contact your local county bar association and ask for a referrel; most attorneys have to qualify to get on these referrel panels so it's usually a more reliable referrel than the yellow pages. I like lawrat's idea of keeping a daily journal; good idea. Act fast! And best of luck to you and your daughter.
Very truly yours,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential